[General] Nature of Light and Particles

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:54:36 PDT 2015

Hi John Macken

If we suppose the dipole in your though experiment is a one wavelength
dipole with the half wave point at the center, (at the frequency of photon
emission), the equatorial photons emitted would be blue shifted on the
advancing side and redshifted on the retreating side of the spinning dipole.
The blue shifted emission region would contain more energy and therefore
more momentum regardless of spin, and the spinning dipole would be slowed
due to this effect. This effect becomes even easier to understand if the
photon wavelength is shorter related to the dipole length. In the equatorial
case, for the slowing of the spinning dipole, longitudinal momentum is
imparted to the photons (tangential with respect to the dipole) in lieu of
spin momentum. I am thinking that in your though experiment example, if any
spin momentum is imparted to the photons, it will be equal parts of left and
right spin, yielding a plane polarized photon. But since it would have the
blue shifted and redshifted regions during emission, even equal amounts of
left and right spin angular momentum imparted to the photons would slow the
dipole.

Thoughts?

Chip