[General] Photon: Particle or Wave?

John Macken john at macken.com
Wed Apr 8 15:40:27 PDT 2015

Chip,

I am very happy to hear that you are reading the work carefully.  I can assure you that all the equations in the technical paper have been checked many times by others and no mistakes have been found.  As one physics professor from Caltech said, “Once the assumption of dipole waves in spacetime is accepted, everything else is a logical extension.”

I will paraphrase your question before attempting to answer it. Are photons quantized because the emitters have a specific resonant frequency of emission? … Is quantization an inherent property of photons, or is quantization imposed on them by the emitters? I have examined this question and concluded beyond all doubt that everything in the “observable” universe (including photons) possesses quantized angular momentum (ħ or ½ ħ).  The energy of photons is not inherently quantized – only angular momentum is quantized.  The properties of atoms and molecule determine energy levels. However, this is resonance, not quantization. Once a photon is propagating in a vacuum it can be observed to have any energy (any frequency) if it is observed from different frames of reference.  If energy was quantized, then there would be only discrete energies (discrete frequencies) that photons could possess.  No matter what frame of reference a photon is observed, the angular momentum is always the same.  That is what is quantized.

For a big picture example, general relativity (GR) and cosmological observation says that the energy density of the universe is about 10-9 J/m3 but quantum mechanics (QM), field theory and zero point energy say that the energy density is about 10113 J/m3.  This is the famous 10120 difference between QM and GR.  It is often referred to as the biggest numerical discrepancy in all of physics. I say that the two different numbers are understandable when it is realized that everything observable possesses quantized angular momentum and the vacuum energy (∿10113 J/m3) does not possess angular momentum.    These “dipole waves in spacetime” which lack angular momentum give spacetime its physical properties of c, εo, µo, ħ, G, and impedance of spacetime Zs = c3/G.  This is the homogeneous energy density that is being ignored when some equations are “renormalized”.  This is the homogeneous energy density that is being distorted when we say that a mass has caused “curves spacetime”.

This homogeneous energy density of the vacuum is also exerting a tremendous pressure that is analyzed in the papers.  We are like the fish that live at the bottom of the ocean and do not realize that there is any pressure, but a pressure difference on an object causes a mysterious force. The key to deriving the curvature of spacetime produced by particles was to understand the homogeneous energy density of the vacuum. Perhaps I appear to have strayed from spin, but angular momentum is key to all these effects.

John M.