[General] Electron Size in a Collision

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 11:33:47 PDT 2015

Hi John M

While I am familiar with the concepts of Special Relativity and General Relativity, the question I am asking is more to the point of the actual laws of physics rather that any of the theories. I think we are at a point of a sort of stagnation in the advancement of physics because we need to reexamine the foundations we are building on. I think slight errors or misconceptions in the foundations present a roadblock to further accurate understanding.  I am not saying that there is nothing valid in the existing theories, on the contrary, I am saying the almost all of the concepts explored in our current theories, including relativity, QM, QED, etc. have significant value.  It is the tiny bit that still may be in error, or incomplete, in each of the theories which can produce roadblocks to further understanding. Especially if we refuse to reevaluate.  But given your work, it is clear you have no problem taking another look at this sort of thing.

Let us consider a “stationary” observer A, and a moving inertial frame approaching the stationary observer B, at a relativistic velocity.  Each has a clock which outputs a 1mS pulse every second according to their respective clocks.

My impression, based on observation of the universe, and ignoring gravitational effects, is that A will see two effects when he receives the pulse train from B.  Observer A will see the effect of the slowing of the clock due to B’s relativistic velocity, and A will also see the effect of the blue shift of the pulses. However, (if it were possible for A to actually be stationary in the preferred rest frame in space) I believe that B would see the effect of the blue shift of the pulse train from the clock on A, and that B would additionally perceive the clock on stationary A to be faster than his own clock. This is simply the consequence of space being a medium and having a structure, including your proposed oscillating dipole structure, which implies a preferred rest frame.

But back to the moving electron.  My suggestion is that if you are in a moving frame, since rotating your ruler 90 degrees cannot change the rate of time on your clock, that all the spatial dimensions in your frame must contract equally as time slows.

This means that the radius of an electron would contract as well, but if you are moving with the electron it would appear the same, because your ruler is also shorter.  In other words, in moving frame B, if you have a set of mirrors, facing each other, 1 m apart, aligned with your axis of motion, and you use your clock to measure the round trip of light between the mirrors, you get the same measurement as when the set of mirrors are rotated perpendicular to your path. Your clock does not change when you rotate your mirrors so the relativistic contraction must be in all spatial dimensions.

Now we get to the issue that de Broglie wrestled with.  Frequency.

According the above scenario, the frequency of the electron in B would decrease (let’s call this the retarded frequency) to match the clock in the moving frame B. So that the laws of physics would appear the same in the moving frame.  But that is not in agreement with the formula for the energy to frequency relationship E=hv from the observer “A” viewpoint, energy has increased so therefore frequency should have increased, (let’s call this the advanced frequency) of course the frequency will appear blue shifted to observer A in the above example, but the tiny electron clock (frequency) in B has slowed in the above scenario. So that at a velocity of 0.999999999947776 c, (I think this is the value for 50 GEV) the advanced frequency Ee0*y = hv = 1.208995069688253e+25 Hz instead of Compton’s 1.235589972903622e+20 Hz.  And the retarded frequency of relativity is Compton’s 1.235589972903622e+20 Hz times 1/y or 1.262769898254198e+15 Hz.

The amount of blue shift that observer A would measure is easy to calculate. Frequency = Source Frequency times . So that A would measure a frequency for the electron in B to be 2.417987569190073e+25 Hz including the blue shift. Which is very close to twice the value we would expect from E=hv.

It can be argued that the measured frequency of a moving particle, especially a near relativistic particle, will always contain the blue shift term, due to the nature of our ability to measure the particle when it becomes incident on any detector or measurement mechanism.

When graphed, these relationships look like the chart below: The axis on the right is associated with the green line which indicates measured frequency in the above scenario.

So now arises an interesting notion.  If we assume, as many of our electron models have, that an electron is comprised of a circularly propagating, confined EM wave, and we assume that confined wave is traveling principally at the velocity c in its trajectory, then due to the measurement issues we described above, we will measure the frequency of that wave to be twice the value of its actual local frequency in the electron, precisely because it is moving at the limit c. So that even if the radius is Compton’s wavelength divided by it seems we would perceive from measurement that the frequency is Compton’s frequency, and the spin requires a double loop configuration.

And now the question.  In your opinion does that mean we will assume a spin ½ value for the wave even though its actual radius may not be   but rather? And/or does it imply that the Compton’s frequency is our external measurement, and the actual local frequency in the electron EM wave domain is half of Compton’s frequency?

Chip