[General] Electron Size in a Collision

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:50:50 PDT 2015

Dear John D.,

The various definitions of the electron radius have meaning. They are just
not often stated and therefore are often misused. Physics often uses
full-width half-maximum (FWHM, or HWHM for half-width) to describe the
'size' of something with ill-defined edges. However, this does not work for
the electron because there is no 'peak'. On the other hand, there are known
(integrated) quantities that have been used (energy, mass, charge, etc.)
and, if labeled and used properly, these can be made into useful
definitions of electron radius (classical - based on energy/mass;  Compton
- based on potential?; and Bohr - based on deBroglie wavelength).

The eye of a hurricane is an observable. Is it useful? I don't know. If it
is like the classical electron radius then it may not directly give you a
radius of destruction; but, as measured from space, it could still be very
useful.

Andrew