[General] Support for Zitterbewegung

John Macken john at macken.com
Thu Apr 16 18:15:39 PDT 2015

Hi Chip,

You said, “I do not yet fully understand how you propose the standing waves are confined??”  As I stated in an earlier email, the implied internal pressure of an electron with energy of 8x10-14 J and a radius of about λc is on the order of  1024 N/m2.  A proton exerts about 1034 N/m3 and a top quark is about 1045 N/m2. The confinement of these tremendous pressures is no problem for my model.  When I build the entire universe out of 4 dimensional spacetime, I start with the impedance of spacetime and the uncertainty principle.  The uncertainty principle says that the distance between two points can vary by ± Lp (± Planck length) and the rate of time can vary such that two perfect clocks in flat spacetime can vary by ± Planck time.  These are the wave amplitude limits of waves in spacetime allowed by quantum mechanics. I go further and say that these waves actually exist and I proceed to quantify them, The rest is explained in my “foundation” paper and the book, but the result is that spacetime is modeled as a sea of these small amplitude waves at all frequencies up to Planck frequency.  The implied energy density is about 10113 J/m3.  This sounds ridiculous, but it really is quite reasonable if you read the implications and model that explains the 10120 difference between the observable energy density of the universe (∿10-9 J/M3) and the energy density of the quantum mechanical vacuum (∿10113 J/m3).  This model is initially justified by the uncertainty principle, but on a deeper level the sea of waves in the vacuum causes the uncertainty principle.

In my book, I show how the tremendous vacuum pressure not only stabilized my spacetime-based particles, but this pressure is key to explaining all forces.  In my model there is only one truly fundamental force.  This is the force exerted by waves in spacetime propagating at the speed of light.  I call this the “relativistic force Fr” where Fr = Pr/c where Pr is relativistic power propagating at the speed of light.  For example, this force gives the force exerted by photon pressure or the force exerted by gravitational waves when they are emitted by rotating binary star systems.  Most important, this is the force exerted by the small amplitude waves in spacetime that form the quantum mechanical vacuum.  The relativistic force is always repulsive.  I show how forces that appear to be attraction are actually a repulsive force caused by unequal pressure on opposite sides of a particle.

This is not arm waving.  For example, I calculate the gravitational force on an electron in the earth’s gravitational field by calculating the unequal pressure exerted on opposite sides of the electron.  Everyone else in the group is satisfied in saying any model of an electron that postulates that an electron possesses 511,000 eV of energy has “explained” the gravitational force exerted by an electron.  I say that this is merely quantifying the gravitational force without explaining anything.  I know that others will bring up curved spacetime or gravitons, but this also is not an explanation.  A real explanation must be able to start with a model of spacetime and a model of a particle, then show how the particle model produces curved spacetime.  Even that is not the complete explanation because you then have to show how the force with the correct vector (attraction) is generated when a particle is prevented from following the geodesic.  Assuming an analogy to acceleration also does nothing, but this is a long explanation and I have to cut it off.

One last point.  I did not proof read my last post carefully enough.  There is one word that is out of place.  In the second paragraph I said “I am not going to modify some of the points …”  The word “not” should be dropped, so it totally changes the meaning of the sentence to: “I am going to modify some of the points …”

John M.