[General] Casimir and van der Waals

David Mathes davidmathes8 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 21:31:36 PDT 2015

Andrew,
No matter how difficult or challenging to implement, to justify and perhaps limit the possibilitieswe need 21st century level experiments instead of just 20th century experiments. Any theory should propose an experiment.
Wikipedia is not a great source, just a good quick view. As knowledge experts I believe we need to quickly check and move on from Wiki. However, it is the public encyclopedia so if it is lacking, then we should be able to make note of it in our lectures and perhaps have it corrected. And occasionally, wiki hits a research home run with a nice diagram, a list of references or something else of value. I think of Wiki as an index card I didn't write and need to verify at the source.
On the professional level, I pull from a variety of sources defined more by Physics Review Letters than any other source. SPIE clearly is authoritative as well. ArXiv provides a fair amount of sources as well. I am cautiously optimistic when I read translations of Russian and Chinese journals provide a fair amount of value as well as those from specific universities around the world.
So, given that we have entered a period where the papers are being written and reviewed, I'll leave wiki to the reader and focus on providing PRL or Arxiv sources.
David