[General] Position

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 00:19:33 PDT 2015

Hello John, Vivian and others,
   Whatever confines the circulating photon to circular motion in a resting electron also confines the same circulating photon to helical motion in a linearly moving electron (or in a stationary electron as observed in a moving reference frame — same difference) because the circulating charged photon (constituting an electron) continues to have the same associated mass m and the same associated electric charge -e while traveling forward along its helical trajectory as when the electron is at rest.

   Confined light  in a moving box (where the box is moving at speed v less than c) relative to some observer also has the same mass m as in a stationary box, although the total momentum p and  energy E of this moving boxed light increases as p = gamma mv and  E = gamma mc^2 respectively if m is the mass of the light in the box.  (The idea that the mass of an object like an electron increases with velocity as m = gamma mo is as I understand it an obsolete idea in relativistic dynamics, but still spread in some popularized science writing—the mass of the electron remains m (its rest mass value .511Mev/c^2) even as the momentum of a relativistically moving electron is p = gamma mv and its total energy is E = gamma mc^2). Do you agree Vivian?
      Richard