[General] Space time and interaction

David Mathes davidmathes8 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 12:52:25 PDT 2015

Martin
> an ether that is nothing at all but the left over interaction tails from other particles

Hmmm...an interesting observation...especially if one considers that time plays into Mach's principle. Do we use arrival time of visible light from distant objects for all input? Is Wheeler-Feynam a consideration in Machian views?
In the  case model of the photon as an electron, the displacement caused by the photon would potentially have a tail or wake. It's not clear if any of the torus models have addressed such a wake at rest or in motion.
The speculation of a quanta based photon suggests that the wake needs to be directly addressed, and as a result, one usually ends up (or gives up) with a soliton wave.
So therefore, we have two at-rest models that need to account for tails or wake: photon as an electron, and the quanta as a photon. Both of the models suggest the wake might be important for a soliton in a Machian environment since the asymmetric relativistic shock wave might limit the curvature thereby permitting a circulating smaller particle to be measured as a larger particle due to shock wave dynamics.
Of course, we could nest the models such that we have a third, complex model: the quanta in the photon in the electron. One might begin with solving the photon within the electron within the atom solution first.
FWIW Poincaire's stresses are supported by the venerable Cambridge folks  -  Lazenby, Doran, and Gull (LDG) - with their  Gauge theory gravity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, a GR alternative.  Hestenes (2005) wrote about in, "Gauge Theory Gravity with geometric calculus."  Essentially, LDG confirmed and extended Poincaire's stresses but only under the general assumption of flat space, no curvature.
Below are a few more references.

So we have now come full circle in our discussion ending up once again with geometric calculus.
In attempting the quest to answer "what is a photon", we have also attempted to answer "what is the electron", and in doing so, appear to be stuck in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

David
 References
Lazenby, Doran, and Gull 2004 [gr-qc/0405033] Gravity, Gauge Theories and Geometric Algebra
See also

Massa 2015 [1503.08808] Geometric Constrained Variational Calculus. I. - Piecewise smooth extremals
Moreno 2013 [1301.2985] Natural boundary conditions in geometric calculus of variations
Weinstein 2012   [1204.6576] Poincaire's Dynamics of the Electron - A Theory of Relativity?
Yo and Nester 2006 [astro-ph/0612738] Dynamic Scalar Torsion and an Oscillating Universe
Pavsic 2006 SPIN GAUGE THEORY OF GRAVITY IN CLIFFORD SPACE: A REALIZATION OF KALUZA–KLEIN THEORY IN FOUR-DIMENSIONAL SPACE–TIME
Jansen and Mecklenburg 2004 Electromagnetic Models of the Electron and the Transition from Classical to Relativistic Mechanics - PhilSci-Archive
Pavsic 2011   [gr-qc/0111092] How the Geometric Calculus Resolves the Ordering Ambiguity of Quantum Theory in Curved Space
Ferret 2002 [math-ph/0204024] Geometric Calculus and the Fibre Bundle description of Quantum Mechanics
Hestenes Web site Geometric Calculus R & D Home Page
Jones Space and Time Thesis and Antithesis