[General] Vot is der matter?

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Aug 24 22:01:11 PDT 2015

Dear all,

Here is the "nature of the photon and electron" preprint, as submitted to SPIE by yesterday's deadline.

Firstly, apologies to many of you for not including proper references to some of your work in the conference. This is primarily because of work-pressure. I came back to more than a hundred exam scripts- resits - as many as I used to have in the main diet - and despite a better than eighty five  percent pass rate in all my courses. These are not yet all marked and it remains debatable as to whether I will make the deadline tomorrow. There is also a pdr review (not yet started), and multiple PhD candidate viva's so have been kept too busy to keep up with as much as I would have liked to. Thank you to everyone yet again though for a very stimulating and exciting conference.

Where the photon paper has solutions of the Maxwell equations (as they stand) alone, this one considers the effect of adding a square-root rest mass density term. This leads to forces capable of confining light into a rotating, lightspeed vortex with toroidal topology in momentum space. Such topological vortices "rectify" the oscillating field of the photon into a radially inward electron like (or radially outward positron-like) solution. This, then, shows how light may be "confined" as the basis for many of our models.

Limits may be calculated for this charge (see paper). These limits encompass the elementary charge - and remain of the correct order. A simple model gives values very close to the charge observed. Small changes to the trajectories (as suggested by Chip for example) get it exactly right.

Likewise the spin may be calculated. This is half-integral.

Further factors, such as the anomalous magnetic moment g-2 may also be calculated. This agrees with the first-order calculation from quantum electrodynamics. The theory encompasses Maxwell theory, reproduces the solution of relativistic quantum mechanics and underpins quantum electrodynamics.

Several experimental tests have been suggested for the new theory, looking for radiation from neutral systems, searching for cosmological effects, and investigating spin-polarised scattering. For more details read the paper.

If this is, indeed, the theory I think it is there is a new first-order theory capable of describing all of light and all of matter. This is an unprecedented opportunity to make progress in the design of collective systems - new materials, new devices and new technologies.

I hope I am right. Please help me if you think I am wrong in any detail (likely!). It is only, as Chandra says, by collective effort that proper progress can be made.

Regards, John W.