[General] Verification of Light Interactions

Mark, Martin van der martin.van.der.mark at philips.com
Sat Aug 29 14:48:27 PDT 2015

Dear David,
Shockwaves or anything like that require a non-linear medium.

In a linear medium, for any kind of wave, the superposition principle in physics applies and hence implies, manifestly, NIW.

It is absolutely ludricous to make crossing beams in a linear medium and say that they actually do cross when the beams are different, but reflect when they are identical. How identical? Exactly identical, so that no difference can be seen at all? By ockham's razor, by arguments of continuity and by the abscence of a physical reason for interaction (linearity), then, the beams cross. Always.

The mathematics of Cl(1,3) is the clifford algebra of space-time, also called geometric algebra. The complexification of it is identical to what is generally called the Dirac algebra.
It has nothing to do with any model.
The "4-fold view" is just a proper explanation of the physical projection of vectors we all have been doing since high school, perhaps without knowing it, and Cl(1,3) is the right tool. It is very useful, but as always, one has to suffer and learn how to use it...

Very best, Martin

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 29 aug. 2015 om 23:15 heeft "davidmathes8 at yahoo.com<mailto:davidmathes8 at yahoo.com>" <davidmathes8 at yahoo.com<mailto:davidmathes8 at yahoo.com>> het volgende geschreven:

Chanda, Chip and Bob,

Amplitudes may not be the only way to produce wave interference. Phase and polarization should be able to produce the reflected wave. However, the reflected wave suggests some sort of radiation reaction. Has radiation reaction been taken into account in these fine simulations?

The boundary conditions for NIW need to be established by wavelength, bandwidth, amplitude and other parameters. So NIW may be true for unbounded, unconditioned photons, at some point one would expect a shock like condition which would establish a reflection.

Alternatively, one could approach the issue of NIW by looking at the numerous conditions for reflection in materials and matter states and then ask under what conditions a radiation reaction would occur that would result in a reflection.

Just a note, I'm still wondering about the four C(3,1) frames that Williamson and van der Mark speak of. Seems like that type of model leaves a lot of wiggle room from various anomalies.

David