[General] Physics in 100 years according to Wilczek

Mark, Martin van der martin.van.der.mark at philips.com
Sun Jul 5 11:41:33 PDT 2015

Dear Richard,
(Andrew you want to pay attention to this too!)
Here is the continuation of my reply to your comments on my SPIE paper.
I have changed the text regarding your point 2 and 4 and will also do this for point 3.
Your calculation below is correct. More important is, the reason why it is; how the quantization condition is put in.
What was wrong in the paper is that not only the orbital frequencies of proton and electron were taken equal (correctly) but also the De Broglie frequencies. This leads to two quantization conditions that look very plausible, but it is wrong: both proton and electron De Broglie wavelengths fit on their own orbital around the center of mass.
On closer examination I saw this appears to lead to trouble with the reduced mass and orbital angular momentum, things do not add up properly.

Right answer is:
The conclusion is that the reduced mass, proton and electron orbital frequency are (all three) identical, as are the respective De Broglie wavelengths. The total angular momentum is the sum of that of proton and electron and is, in the Bohr model, precisely hbar, as it should.
This means, and that is somewhat puzzling if one imagines a circular orbit (instead of a radial breathing, which is going on in reality), that the De Broglie wavelengths of both proton and electron do NOT fit on their circular orbit, but DO fit on the distance between them divided by pi! Both electron and proton act in such a way that they forget about the world around them and only see the other particle going round them in a path of exactly the De Broglie wavelength.
De Kinetic energy of the proton is less than the electron’s by their mass ratio.

Richard, well done, thank you very much indeed. I have put you in the acknowledgement of the paper, truly and totally deserved.
I will sent a new copy of the paper with all the changes and suggestions by you and others. No change in the results, but much better quality!

Very best regards, Martin

Dr. Martin B. van der Mark
Principal Scientist, Minimally Invasive Healthcare

Philips Research Europe - Eindhoven
High Tech Campus, Building 34 (WB2.025)
Prof. Holstlaan 4
5656 AE  Eindhoven, The Netherlands