[General] Weyl Fermions

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:14:10 PDT 2015

Hello John,

   Thank you for your detailed replies to my questions about your electron model.  I think that despite our significant differences in modeling the electron, we could agree on the following statement: "The electron is a spin 1/2  light-speed configuration having  the electron’s charge, rest mass and 720-degree symmetry, and generating the de Broglie wavelength.” Agree or not? (And Chip and Vivian would you agree with this or not?)

  Your approach to modeling the electron with a light-speed configuration gives more detailed models of the photon and the electron, including approximate calculations of the electron’s magnetic moment and electric charge. My generic approach to a circulating photon modeling a relativistic electron does not include a specific model of the photon that models a relativistic electron, but emphasizes 1) the charged photon's total circulating energy, momentum and wavelength, 2) the charged photon’s helical trajectory and how it depends on the electron’s speed, and 3) gives a short derivation of the de Broglie wavelength and the quantum wave function for a free electron from the helically circulating charged photon’s wavelength.

   One point where we differ on terminology is whether the electron model's light-speed configuration should be called a spin 1/2 charged photon or a spin 1/2 light-speed configuration (or re-circulating configuration) with an associated electric charge. I emphasize what is in common with the light-speed configurations for an electron and a photon: both configurations move at light-speed with a frequency f and a wavelength lambda related by c=f lambda, where E=hf and p=h/lambda. You emphasize the differences in the two configurations (spin 1/2 configuration versus spin 1 configuration, curving motion versus straight motion, rest mass versus no rest mass, and charge versus no charge.) I hope I am not oversimplifying here. This is why I favor two photon “varieties" having some similar and some different features.

   I’ve gone through your two SPIE papers on the photon and the electron, passing lightly over the proposed new algebra. I noticed a significant typo (the same in both papers) where you state (on page 14 in the photon paper and page 8 in the electron paper) that the photon’s rotation horizon  = c w   (where w is omega) where it should actually be rotation horizon = c/w .

   I have a related question about how you derive hbar for the photon’s z-component of spin in your photon paper on p 14, which you repeat in your electron paper on p 8.  You use the photon's experimental momentum (hbar w)/c to derive a maximum angular momentum of the photon hbar for your model, by multiplying the electron’s experimental momentum (hbar w)/c by the photon’s rotation horizon = c/w  (when the typo is corrected ) to get spin hbar.   But if the electron’s momentum is in the z (longitudinal) direction, you cannot derive the z-component Sz of the photon’s spin from the photon’s z-component of momentum  (hbar w)/c . You would need to have a circulating component of the photon’s momentum in the transverse or x-y plane to derive by S = r x p    a  spin component Sz of the photon in the z direction. Or am I missing something? (In my model of the photon, described elsewhere, I do have such a momentum component in the transverse direction).

  with best regards,
          Richard