[General] Photon

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 11:43:39 PDT 2015

Hi Martin,

Thank you for this explanation.  Yes, there are several ways to generate the electron’s de Broglie wavelength starting with the Compton wavelength and corresponding Compton frequency of light, including generating it from a photon in a moving reflecting box. Do all of these approaches also generate the electron’s phase velocity c^2/v ? Do they all have two diverging frequencies for a moving electron, one associated with relativistic time dilation and the other with an internal frequency associated with energy? But even if so, I’m sure that doesn’t mean that the foundations of quantum mechanics of the electron are fully understood, does it? What is left to understand about the electron-as-a-circulating-photon, besides its spin and magnetic moment, in your opinion? Fermi statistics and the Pauli exclusion principle? The pivot? The collapse of the wave function? Why Psi*Psi works statistically? How to predict individual quantum events? Entanglement? Double-slit?  And why so many alternate interpretations of the meaning of QM that all make the same predictions?

If the quantum wave function for a free electron can be generated by a helically circulating photon emitting a plane lightwave of frequency f=gamma mc^2/h corresponding to the energy of a moving electron, this would seem to be a further step in understanding the possible nature of quantum mechanics, wouldn’t it? Putting an EM photon into such a quantum-wave-function-generating photon model could produce interesting QM results. Do you think that quantum eigenfunctions and energy eigenvalues can be generated by a photon-in-a-box model of a free electron that generates the de Broglie wavelength and the electron’s phase velocity c^2/v ? And what about from a photon-in-a-box in the presence of a potential well like for example the Coulomb potential in a hydrogen atom? (assuming that a photon-in-a-box can be associated with an electric charge that is bound in the potential well.) Apologies for so many questions at once.

      Richard