[General] Electrical Charge and Photons

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Jun 19 19:53:45 PDT 2015

Dear John M,

Thank you for your reply. I think there is very much that is good in your work and your thinking, but I think you perhaps have started from the wrong place in feeling that you have to put in G, c, ħ and εo from the beginning (let alone the fine structure constant!).

These are constants you should aspire to get out of a fundamental theory.

The starting point of mega- giga-tera-peta-exa astronomical energy densities (I don't think even that was enough zeroes!) is anyway, for most, not the fashionable, central point of physics as it stands, but rather the crazy edge where current physics is thought to, as your Wikipedia quote suggests, break down. Now this would not matter to me, if it was not for the fact that this, in our joint discussion, may mistakenly be taken by others in the outside world as a necessary part of our, and hence my, new theory of light and matter. Like it or not, we will get seen as a group. It is the natural error you made yourself when you joined this group and confused what was essentially Richards position, of being representive of my, Martin's Andrew's, Viv's and Chandra's positions. Just not so! I am already being dismissed by current physics as crazy as it is without associating myself with more things though to be beyond-the-pale.

Coming back to the physics: your analogies of light and material particles, as vibrations of the underlying medium of space and time, stand without starting from some fixed properties. For me this has the added advantage of being far closer to my position - that much of what we perceive as reality stems from the underlying nature of space and time. Here, we agree. The point is -why give yourself a fixed limit based on a handful of physical constants set as your starting point (and thus further immutable and incalculable). Far better to calculate G in terms of electromagnetism rather than put it in a-priori (which is what Martin and my toy model does - toy or not). As I said before, space and time have to be stiff and strong, not massive and energetic, and it is actually these properties that you use to derive your results. Change your limit and the strain in the oscillations goes from the far sub-quantum to something closer to the actual kind of vibration observed in particles. Why not just take it all the way to that which you observe? Forget about there being a "maximum possible" for any aspect of space-time.  That is only of any relevance in extrapolating present theories grounded in experiment in the linear regime, far to the point where they become non-linear. Why start by limiting yourself, especially to something you do not actually know and in a regime completely in-accessible to human experiment!

Also, while on the theme of Gravitation, I want to take back much of what I said in the last paragraph in my previous email. It was partly due to me panicking a bit on not making enough progress with moving towards some looming deadlines (mostly from work, though July 15th is also getting rapidly closer), and feeling the need to put in precious time to ground a discussion I felt was getting out of hand and absorbing too much of all our energies uneccesarily (as GenRel workes just fine in explaining it as it is). My apologies. There should be no limit on any of our thinking. In fact, perhaps there should be a follow-up workshop on space, time and gravitation. This is something for discussion in the cafe's in San Diego. My only decent point was that it was not, strictly, the theme of this upcoming conference.

Regards, John W.