[General] The underlying nature of charge

David Mathes davidmathes8 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 22:19:42 PDT 2015

John
As you are aware, charge is what you make it. EM charge, electroweak charge, and quantum charge appear to be quantized and elementary.
If we consider the photon as charged, where's the mass? Mass/charge ratio is an issue. Can one have charge without mass?
One has to address the quantization of charge may depend on |1/N| where N is an odd number, positive or negative. However, we still do not have a clearcut and common definition of charge. Well, some folks may. A comparative analysis is rather difficult even with this small set. I almost prefer to do a genealogy rather than a taxonomy.
In terms of ADM charge, it's actually a group of charges. Even so, the theory is somewhat adaptable to any size unit charge which is lucky for us since quantized charge appears to obey the 1/N rule where N is at least an odd number.
In a purely relativistic system, one is either on the geodesic or off the geodesic. That does not give us quantized charge at least not yet. Even so, from a geodesic view point, any off-geodesic action may appear as charge. Thinking about the off-geodesic, one is tempted to look at charge as some sort of relativistic effect.
Could the photon be a transluminal particle with a foot, or perhaps a footprint, in both superluminal and subluminal world but on a very small scale. Where is the foot for the photon?
As to symmetry, in particular the Standard Model (SM) as defined by U(1)XSU(2)XSU(3), CPT violations make the SM appear as a model with a lot of holes, and therefor not a rigorous or full theory. So we are left with the impression that reductionist philosophy has run it's course and we need to look  at emergent properties. Perhaps we have not squeezed the photon enough, and if we could, we might find something deeper inside the photon.
I'm familiar in a limited way with EM U(1)XSU(2)XSU(3) with conditioning. However, SM experts tell me a higher N for SU(N) is used for electroweak, and gravity, which is not even in the SM, is way up there at SU(9) or so.
At the quantum level, causality now includes the mere act of observation. To make things worse, observation appears to affect the immediate past. Welcome to the world of quantum relativity. Here's hoping that quantum gravity theory, in particular loop quantum gravity, will permit additional progress. As to langoustines....along the west coast, wild Alaskan Salmon is in season. Right now, it's copper river salmon. A bit pricey but well worth it. Best in the world although the Norwegian Smoked salmon is really nice.
In San Diego, short of going up to La Jolla or eating a hotel, a nice place is
The Oceanaire Seafood Room
John, just keep writing and don't stop
Regards,
David