[General] Publishing panel discussions

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Fri Jun 26 09:11:50 PDT 2015

Dear Potential Panel Members (those who will be physically participating during the conference):
This panel discussion is a significant step-up in our conference series (See note added below as "PS", which is in the final SPIE program).

Here is the understanding with SPIE. A new paper #9570-100 has been opened in my name, as the Moderator (and a panel member). This final paper #9570-100 will be a simple collection of contributions from each panel participant, identified as such. [I will not be shown as the author of the collection of article!

Each contribution will be separately identified along with the usual name and address of each author, under the general heading:
"Are electrons oscillating photons; or, oscillating "vacuum"; or, something else?
The 2015 Panel discussion"

All panel members are requested to submit their summary 2-page word-document directly to Ms. Arwen Woods (arwenw at spie.org<mailto:arwenw at spie.org>), the SPIE Editor for our proceeding, by August 17 to meet the SPIE publishing deadline. Ms. Woods will compile the documents into the special paper #9570-100.

I believe, all of you have already been drafting and re-drafting your personal "position papers" as the web-email-based discussion has been continuing. You should be able to finalize this "position papers" within a couple of days after the San Diego panel discussion and directly email the word document to Ms. Woods. Please, feel free to refer to each other's position papers, as well as contributed conference papers (cite paper #).

If any of you have suggestions to improve upon the proposed overall approach, please, feel free to write me.

Those of you who are unable to join the conference and hence the panel discussion; please, feel free to influence your sympathetic participating friends to refer to your published articles and/or your websites within their articles. Further, plan to present a full article for our 7th biennial conference in 2017 (August, San Diego).

Please, see the note below that underscores the obvious logical reason as to why the structure of electron is a topic of discussion at a conference led by an optical engineering society, SPIE.

Sincerely,
Chandra.
PS: From the SPIE final program:
Introduction to the Panel Discussion
Are electrons oscillating photons; or, oscillating "vacuum"; or, something else?
Come and raise new questions to the panel that may guide us to get some deeper insight into the Nature of Light.
What physical attributes separates EM waves, from the Radio to the X-ray, from the Gamma-ray? From Radio to visible to X-ray telescopes are designed based upon the optical imaging theory; which is an extension of the Huygens-Fresnel diffraction integral. Do we understand the physical properties of Gamma rays that defy us to manipulate them similarly? One demonstrated unique property of Gamma rays is that they can be converted to elementary particles (electron and positron pair); or a particle-antiparticle pair can be converted into gamma rays. Thus, EM waves and elementary particles, being inter-convertible; we cannot expect to understand the deeper Nature of Light without succeeding to find structural inter-relationship between photons and particles. Hence, the choice of our topic is directly relevant to develop a deeper understanding of the Nature of Light; which will, in turn, help our engineers to invent better optical instruments.