[General] Velocity of the Coulomb Field

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 09:38:54 PDT 2015

Right, I have read it.

Hope the robustness of the following does not shock any of our other new friends, but we know each other so here goes ....

Robert Close is right, as far as he goes. Remember who you are talking to though. This is the same Williamson who has been saying that particles are made of light for over a quarter of a century. Who has been saying that the transformations of the electron are the same as the transformations of light all along. This IS argued strongly in the 1997 paper. Look at it! Close is close, but still just not quite there. (Good man though, do you know him?) He is clearly crazy like us, but for me not just quite crazy enough!

THis is all true. We have not been disagreeing about this. Re-read the previous correspondence! WE both agree now, agreed then and continue to agree that the reason one measures the same speed in any frame is just because the rulers and clocks BOTH scale with lightspeed. Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes! This is the point!

You are STILL, however, missing another essential point.

That is that, for particles (or bound photons) BOTH clocks slow down (tick more slowly) AND, simultaneously, oscillate more quickly (tick more quickly).  I will say this again (but only once) ...

For particles (or bound photons) BOTH clocks slow down (tick more slowly) AND, simultaneously, oscillate more quickly (tick more quickly).

This is because the Lorentz transformations for clocks and for energies (or frequencies) transform differently - as I said before. The underlying reason they do this is that they need to do this to preserve the linearity of energy. Energy trumps space and time. That is the point. This argument has also been looked into, long ago, by Jan Hilgevoord, in a paper which suggests that frequency is more fundamental than time. I would agree to a point ...   but would argue that one needs both! Energy is the stronger, and space and time must bend to it, but space and time do not vanish - they merely transform.

Martin discovered this feature (of both slowing and quickening) independently (about our model) way back in 1991 or 1992 (I forget exactly when but could look it up in my daybook) This was before we first tried submitting the material eventually published in 1997. The de Broglie wavelength, itself, then arises as the beat between these two "clocks". One speeding up and one slowing down. All of us came to this long after de Broglie, who wrote about it in his thesis in 1923 (If I remember the  date).

At that time we were unaware that this had been done before by de Broglie. That was pointed out to us, as I said in a previous email, by Ulrich Enz (the father of the soliton). I think he got hold of a copy of our second (1994) attempt paper - and got in touch with us then (am I right Martin?). It was de Broglie's work that, LED to quantum mechanics a few years later. In other words QM is, and was originally, DERIVED from a proper consideration of relativity. THis knowledge is now essentially lost to most physicists as it is considered too advanced and too hard conceptually. There are only Two other physicists I have met who knew about this before I told them- Alex Afriat and the great Basil Hiley. Neither they (nor I) have a forum to teach this as it is, indeed, too advanced for undergrads. THis is how such things as this (and the Godel stuff) get lost.

The point is that the fact that the rulers, clocks and energies transform, does not mean they go away. THey just look a bit smaller or a bit bigger, thats all. Ones man space is anothers time (4 cpts). These four components merge into one another according with the LONGITUDINAL cpt of space mixing with that of time according to relativity. One scales with one.

Field is different. Ones man's magnetic field is anothers electric and vice versa.  Here it is not the longitudinal cpts but the TRANSVERSE cpts that transform. Look at the equations! Two scales with two (although both are defined in just one (transverse) direction). In fact Ex goes to By and so on. Look at the Maxwell equations. Think light. Think photons.

Space and time continue to exist. Space and time are what you are, what you live in and are mirrored in the space we construct around us in our minds.

Look - we very very nearly agree completely (and I really appreciate you sticking to your guns!). All you would have to do now to get complete agreement would be to convince me that energy was motion. This has some truth in it, for me, but you would find me arguing that, properly, energy is more like axial motion. E = h nu - angular momentum times frequency - still an axial vector and not a linear movement (space over time c.f. space over perpendicular space). This is axial or (space/ parallel space) scalar. What you do to add energy to a photon is to spin it up, not make it go faster. It does not go faster (as you said!). Torque and energy have the same units (newton metres) but are different. For energy to be motion it would have to be scalar, point, invariant motion. Stationary motion. Motion which is still (and invariant) in every frame. Hey .. I can do this. Williamson introduces the new concept of static motion. We could call it (rest) mass. We could also have twisting motion - the axial part - we could call that photons or we could call that energy. Who said argument was not a good thing!

Want to write a john-john paper about it?

Think about it!

- John Williamson.