[General] Electron - Photon and waves

Vivian Robinson viv at etpsemra.com.au
Mon May 4 16:51:36 PDT 2015

Dear All,

I must comment on the below statement about waves. There are two types of wave motions. The first can be described as medium waves, as for example sound or seismic waves. The wave moves through the medium by vibrating it in the direction of its motion. The medium has no net motion. The second is where a particle passes through a medium, such as a bird flying through air. Viewed side on the horizontal and vertical trajectories of a bird's wing describe a wave motion as it moves through the air. Birds wings are sufficiently aerodynamic that, in gentle flight, there is minimum disturbance of the air, just a slight vertical displacement as the bird moves through it. It is the bird and its wings that are waving, not the air. The important feature here is that there is a wave motion as a particle moves through a medium where the medium doesn't wave.

This is used as an analogy, albeit somewhat poor, for photons. The analogy is that in both cases they are particles that have a wave motion  perpendicular to their direction of travel. In the case of a photon, the medium is the permittivity and permeability of free space. The photon moves in one direction through space while its electromagnetic field interacts with the permittivity and permeability of free space (in the other directions). It does not have to cause a vibration, as per a seismic wave, in that medium. If free space did not have permittivity and permeability, there would be no photons. That does not mean that space has to be dense for waves to propagate through it.

Photons are not like sound or seismic waves where their medium needs to vibrate back and forth in the direction of travel. They aren't even waves. They are particles that display waves properties in the micro-world. Their particle nature is because of their limited extent. Particles can travel through a low density medium (space) without hindrance. The wave nature of photons is due to the (sinusoidal) variation of the electromagnetic field that is the photon (properties of E = h.nu, giving m = h.nu/c^2) being maintained by the permittivity and permeability of free space. Remember also that all sound, seismic, ocean waves have another property in common - they all have limited extent and diminish in amplitude with distance. Photons exist and retain their integrity over great distances.

In response to the statement below, I suggest that space does not wave (in the sense of sound or seismic waves vibrating air or ground molecules back and forth in the direction of their travel) when a photon travels through it. The permittivity and permeability of free space allow photons to travel through it without there having to be any vibrating medium. Treating photons as electromagnetic waves is misleading. The better comments are underlined below.  NO WAVE, JUST INTERACTION.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Vivian