[General] Electron's Radius

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Fri May 8 14:08:19 PDT 2015

Hi John,
 It's natural to look for weak points while constructively criticizing a
particular model. I find a weak point in your model in your reference to
the moment of inertia of a uniform disk (I=1/2 MR^2) and a hoop (I=MR^2) in
trying to explain why the spin of your electron should be 1/2 hbar instead
of 1 hbar. Moments of inertia are used in non-relativistic physics to
describe rotating rigid macroscopic bodies where mass and mass density are
well defined at particular locations in the rotating object. It is assumed
that the object with a moment of inertia I rotates as a rigid body with a
constant angular velocity w (omega) to produce a particular angular
momentum L=Iw, with the parts of the rigid object closer to the rotational
axis moving proportionally slower that the parts of the object further
away. My feeling is that comparing a single electron to a uniformly
rotating rigid disk makes too many unlikely assumptions about the inner
energy structure and energy density of an electron to make the comparison
quantitatively a valid one. Would your argument be weaker or not if you
were to withdraw the comparison of an electron to a uniformly rotating
rigid disk with its uniform energy density moving at speeds proportional to
the distance from its rotational axis?