[General] Electron's Radius

John Macken john at macken.com
Sat May 9 11:05:35 PDT 2015

Hi Chip and Everyone,

You asked about why I claim that the dipole waves that form energetic spacetime have no angular momentum.  I have several reasons that are explained in various parts of the book, but I will give three of them here.

First, the photons that are part of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) are continuously being redshifted.  They are losing energy but retaining 100% of their angular momentum.  In my model, the lost energy has not disappeared from the universe. It has been converted to energy of the dipole waves that make up the energetic spacetime field.  The energy lost from the CMB photons transferred no angular momentum to the spacetime field since 100% of the angular momentum remained with the surviving redshifted photon.  Therefore, this is an example of the energy of the spacetime field increasing but no angular momentum being added.

The second, mush longer reason is explained in chapters 13 and 14 of my book.  These chapters are devoted to the cosmological implications of the assumption that the universe is only spacetime.  These chapters complete a lot of loose ends from previous chapters and the question about angular momentum is one of them.  If the universe is only spacetime today, it must have always been only spacetime, even at the beginning of the Big Bang.  Therefore, what is the model of the Big Bang if the only building block is 4 dimensional spacetime? Also, the explanation is forbidden to say things like “the laws of physics break down.”  This is the fallback position when physicists cannot explain something.

Therefore, the starting condition for the Big Bang is a form of spacetime that I call “Planck spacetime” rather than a singularity where the laws of physics “break down”.  The properties of Planck spacetime can be obtained by extrapolating backwards from today using known laws of physics (no “inflation” where the laws of physics break down).    Imagine that we were to go backwards in time.  We would see the CMB photons being blue shifted to the energy that they had in earlier times.  Energy would be extracted from the dipole waves that form the spacetime field and added to the CMB photons.  Even though today most of the observable energy in the universe is in observable fermions, the vast majority of the “quantized angular momentum” is in the CMB photons and in dark matter.  For this explanation we will ignore dark matter.

The universe has gone through 3 phases, but now I am most interested in the first epoch known as the radiation dominated epoch.  It lasted from the Big Bang to about 70,000 years after the Big Bang.  In this epoch most of the energy in the universe was in the form of the energy in the CMB photons.  As we extrapolate back towards the Big Bang (without inflation) we get to a time when all the energy was in the form of photons before the first particles were formed out of these photons.

Obviously, the energy in these photons increases until we reach the limit of what spacetime can support.  This limit is 100% of the photons having Planck energy (about 2x109 J) and each photon occupying a volume equal to Planck length cubed. The temperature of this condition exactly equals Planck temperature ∿ 1032° K. This energy density is 10113 J/m3 which is exactly the same energy density as the spacetime field has today.  How can this be possible?  The answer is that in Planck spacetime 100% of the energy of the universe possessed angular momentum while today only about 1 part in 10120 possesses quantized angular momentum.  We can only interact with energy that possesses quantized angular momentum. Therefore we think that the energy density of the universe has vastly decreased from the Big Bang to today.  The universe thinks that there has been no change in the energy density. The energy has only changed from being “observable” (possessing quantized angular momentum) to being not observable by us.

This all sounds good, but is there any proof that this is what has happened? Actually there is some strong indications.  I have several different ways of calculating the expansion of the universe from Planck spacetime (Big Bang) to today.  All of these calculations give about the same answer which is an expansion of about 2.6x1031 times in each of the 3 spatial dimensions.  This gives a volume expansion of about 1094 times.  (I have skipped all the details about how expansion happens – that is in the book). I then make the assumption that there has been on average no new quantized angular momentum added to the universe since the Big Bang. Initially this seems like a wrong assumption.  It is possible to see individual cases where colliding particles create a great number of new particles which temporarily increase the number of particles with quantized angular momentum.  However, my analysis indicates that there are offsetting effects which tend to keep the total in the universe constant.  However, the primary consideration is that CMB photons possess about one million times more quantized angular momentum than fermions, so what happens to the fermion count is relatively unimportant.

Therefore, with this assumption, it is possible to calculate the density of quantized angular momentum units that should be in the universe today extrapolating from the density in Planck spacetime.  The number should be about 1094 times lower density today than the number in Planck spacetime because of the 1094 volume increase.  A calculation shows that ignoring the quantized angular momentum in dark matter, the density with this crude calculation is off by only a factor of 6 out of 1094.  Furthermore, if the energy of dark matter particles is about 0.3 eV, then this would make up the factor of 6 and the number would be exactly correct.  We know that 0.3 eV is the approximate energy of neutrinos.  I propose a way for neutrinos to be cooled to a temperature of about 0.01° K which would give them all the properties required to explain dark matter, but that is a different subject.

The point of this long discussion about cosmology is that the spacetime field cannot possess quantized angular momentum because it would have to be present since the beginning of the Big Bang.  Extrapolating backwards from today, we have accounted for all the angular momentum without requiring the spacetime field to possess vast amounts of quantized angular momentum.

Also, a third reason why the dipole waves that form the spacetime field cannot have quantized angular momentum is as follows. The entire explanation of fundamental particles is that they are merely units of quantized angular momentum which organize the energy in the dipole waves in spacetime into observable units.  For example, this is key to explaining why electrons appear to be point particles.  If the spacetime field itself contained quantized angular momentum, then the entire explanation of fundamental particles would disappear.

There is another explanation of why superfluids do not have angular momentum in the bulk material, but I have probably already said too much.

John M.