[General] Potential energies of particles and photons

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 11:00:16 PDT 2015

Dear Martin,

Comments below:

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Mark, Martin van der <
martin.van.der.mark at philips.com> wrote:

>  Dear andrew, you have a point but your reasoning is very crippled and
> hence wrong: in a closed, bound system it is not possible to say where the
> energy came from other than the system, balance must be maintained at all
> instant. Would you not be looking at a closed system, any bullshit can
> happen.

I am not looking at a closed system, I am looking into a closed system. How
many QM Hamiltonians include the photon? Without that, the system is not
closed. Are the answers bullshit? How many QM models, which use reduced
mass to tie the nucleus into the starting conditions, attempt to do the
same for the potential. Is it impossible to say where the mass resides in a
closed system? That mass includes most of the energy. Is the Coulomb
potential energy *in* the vacuum? In the *E*-field that fills the vacuum?
For the H atom, is it not reasonable to associate it with the 2 masses and
the 2 charges? Since the charges are equal, one might guess that the
potential energies are equally divided? But, the masses are not equal, so
could not the potential energies be unequally divided? Just because the
potential energy is measurable as a system quantity does not mean that it
cannot be partitioned. Because we can weigh an atom, that does not mean
that we cannot weight the nucleus. Just because photons have been
discovered doesn't mean that non-photonic Maxwellian radiation does not
exist. Physics is too often close-minded about options other than the
things that 'work'.

> I am writing a very detailed paper right now that a.o. contains this
> issue, it should be ready this week. It is one of the papers i will be
> presenting at the conference.

I look forward to it.

>  And, by the way, it is perhaps not wise to suggest that nobody has
> thought about whatever. You may simply not know about it, they may have
> come to the wrong conclusion, but very very likely someone somewhere has
> thought about it already. Nonetheless, i like to give you that you are
> thinking about relevant things indeed!

I thought about that statement and how it might be misinterpreted. I
decided that I meant that they never think to consider the potential energy
of the proton in their publications on the hydrogen atom. I should have
changed the statement. I am sure that some people have thought about it and
decided not to waste paper in adding the extra equations that do not change
their results. How often do you see the proton introduced by including its
mass in a reduced-mass form AND the radius changed to include both the
distance between charges and distance to the COM? The potential energy does
not change by introducing the proton if you use the distance between them
to calculate it. However, I believe it would, if instead you use the
electron distance to the COM. Which distance is used in the calculation for
the energies and which for the orbital radii?

When Richard commented that an electron lost total energy in its decay to a
lower level. I decided that I needed to raise the point. He had thought
about it; but, I believe he came to a wrong conclusion. Do you think not?
>From your comments, I would assume you think that he cannot predict either
way and so we are both wrong. Is this a valid assumption?

Andrew