[General] research papers

Dr. Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Sat Nov 7 08:29:13 PST 2015

Hello Richard,

thanks for you thorough reading and your comments. Please find my
comments in the text below.

Am 06.11.2015 um 16:21 schrieb Richard Gauthier:
> Hello Albrecht,
>    Thanks for your comments.
>
>     Perhaps I need a better word than “energy quantum” (such as just
> the noun Quantum, although “quantum” is occasionally used as noun
> already) for the hypothesized quantum object generating a photon or an
> electron and its wave/particle characteristics. The energy quantum of
> an electron would be different from the energy quantum of a photon.
> Each energy quantum would be characterized by a set of invariant
> properties (including c,  h , e and m for an electron, and c and h for
> a photon), and a set of quantum rules for how the energy quantum
> expresses into observable phenomena.) It is true that an photon or an
> electron can have a continuous range of measured energies when they
> are not confined (which also depend on the state of motion of the
> observer of the electron or the photon), as well as a set of discrete
> energy values when they are confined.
Yes, this is essentially also my understanding. But I do not think that
there is so much difference between a photon and an electron. The photon
has one electric charge, the photon most probably two opposite charges.
And has some reason for twice the spin.
> The word “quantized” traditionally refers to the discrete energies
> that bound electrons and photons have, but also (and originally
> through Planck) refers to Planck’s hypothesis that electromagnetic
> radiation is released or absorbed in quantized or discrete amounts by
> “oscillators” in a black body (an idealized object actually made of
> atoms/molecules).
Oscillators are as well bound states! That is the physical reason behind
Planck's hypothesis in my understanding.
> These released quanta of radiation, if continuing to exist as
> energy-packets of light, were called “light corpuscles” by Einstein,
> and later “photons” after Compton's experiments. Bohr proposed that
> motions themselves can be quantized,
Bohr's position that motion in general is quantized sounds very weird to
me, typical for Bohr
> like the angular momentum of electrons in the Bohr atomic model.
this angular momentum is also caused by a bound state. For the rest
("motions") I do not see a reason.
> Other particle characteristics like electric charge are also sometimes
> described as “quantized” because they come in discrete amounts.
In my understanding a charge is the only quantity which is quantized
from nature. More fundamental quantizations do not seem to be necessary.
> But the ability of an electron (with the charged photon model) or a
> photon to carry a continuous range of energies and frequencies given
> by E=hf as measured by an observer/particle-detector is one of an
> energy quantum's set of characteristics.
Why is this a quantum? The formula only describes the relation between
those parameters
> By the way, I really doubt that you can derive the fundamental
> relation E=hf , including Planck’s constant, from your electron model.
> "E=hf and E=mc^2 can be derived from more basic facts on a lower level
> (like my particle model).”
Yes they can: "E=hf and E=mc^2 " follow from my particle model.

In my particle model mass turns out to be  m = ħ / (R*c). Now the
geometry (of the particle model) tells us that  f = c / 2 π *R .  ->  m
= ħ *2 π *f/c^2   , or    m= hf/c^2 . From E = mc^2 follows:  E = hf .

Now E=mc^2 ^. Again the particle model:  m = ħ / (R*c). If now the
particle is set to motion, then R-> R' = R/gamma. So m -> m*gamma. Or Δ
m = m*(gamma-1). On the other hand: Δ E = E_kin = v*Δp  (for the
relativistic momentum p) .

If we now equate the expressions for Δ E and Δ m , the result is: Δ E =
Δ m * c^2 .  And this result (the original version of Einstein) follows
completely from the model. For details omitted here please look to my
web site www.ag-physics.org/rmass .

>     As far as de Broglie “getting it right” with his wavelength, he
> definitely got it right in the frame that matters, the rest frame of
> the double slit or the scattering crystals. But I would be very
> surprised if the predicted physical laws of electron diffraction
> change with the motion of the observer with respect to the electrons,
> the scattering object or the detection apparatus. Wouldn’t that
> violate a fundamental principle of relativity that physical laws are
> the same in all inertial frames?
Yes, it violates relativity, exactly that is the problem. From the
experiments it is clear that the use of the de Broglie wavelength works
correctly in relation to the frame of the scattering device. But it is
also very obvious that the use of this wavelength causes absurd results
if transformed to a different inertial frame. (I have shown this earlier
quite explicitly.) So this wave cannot be a property of the electron.
The de Broglie wavelength must be a property of the scattering process.

Best regards
Albrecht

> [...]
>>>
>>>     If physicists are to understand the origin of quantum wave
>>> functions rather than just calculate and use them, a more
>>> fundamental approach to the foundations of quantum mechanics is
>>> needed, which goes beyond wave-particle dualism and complementarity.
>>>
>>> What I am proposing is that instead of two associated entities in QM
>>> — a mathematical wave function and a physical particle or particles
>>> —  there is for both of these quantum expressions a single quantum
>>> informational entity, which I call an energy quantum, which
>>> generates both the particle and wave aspects of the photon or
>>> electron (or other quantum objects). If the energy quantum is that
>>> of a photon, the energy quantum expresses the photon’s wave and
>>> particle’s measurable properties. Similarly for the electron’s
>>> energy quantum. The energy quantum, which is what is physically
>>> detected in an experiment,  continues after detection (if it still
>>> exists) to express informational quantum waves of a particular
>>> frequency which spread out as the energy quantum helically
>>> circulates through space with the same frequency as the quantum
>>> waves that it emanates (proportional to its energy). The energy
>>> quantum carries energy and momentum (as well as the information
>>> about the quantum’s other physical characteristics) and moves
>>> forward at light-speed c. The quantum waves emitted from a
>>> circulating charged photon predict (through Psi*Psi) the probability
>>> of the location of the charged energy quantum further along its
>>> direction of motion, through the derived de Broglie "matter waves".
>>> If there is a double slit ahead so that diffraction and interference
>>> from waves behind the two slits are present, the emitted quantum
>>> waves from an electron or photon are like Huygens sub-waves (perhaps
>>> this is why the Huygens wavefront construction works so well) that
>>> spread out and travel through both slits, always predicting the
>>> location of the electron or photon by (Psi*Psi) at any location —
>>> either at the slits, in the space behind the slits, or at the screen
>>> behind the slits. No energy is transmitted by these quantum waves.
>>> The energy remains with the energy quantum emitting the waves. But
>>> when the energy quantum is detected its energy remains proportional
>>> to the frequency of the quantum waves. Fundamentally I’m proposing
>>> that each energy quantum broadcasts these quantum information waves
>>> according to Huygens "sub-wave" principle. The particular properties
>>> of the energy quantum (its energy, mass (if any), charge and spin
>>> etc.) remain with the energy quantum. This hypothesis is proposed to
>>> operate even on the single-quantum level, i.e. for one-at-a time
>>> energy quanta going through a double slit or similar apparatus.
>>>
>>>  The above proposal is obviously just a beginning (though some
>>> modeling groundwork on photons and electrons has been done), but it
>>> is I think a new direction that needs pursuing. Comments or questions?

---