[General] Reply of comments from what a model…

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 15:13:38 PST 2015

Hello Albrecht,

  I admire your persistence in trying to save your doomed (in my opinion) 2-particle electron model. Do you understand how unreasonable and irrational it appears for you to write:   "Then I had to determine the field constant S which is normally provided by experiments. But quantum mechanics is so unprecise regarding the numeric value of the strong force that there is no number available in the data tables. Here I found that I could use the Bohr magneton to determine the constant. (Which turned out to be S = hbar*c, merely a constant).” ?  How could the number S  that you could not find in “unprecise” tables about the strong force possibly be the same number that can be found precisely from the electron’s Bohr magneton ehbar/2m and which you claim is S = hbar*c ? This is an unbelievable, desperate stretch of imagination and "grasping at straws", in my opinion.

Here is the meaning of “grasping at straws” from http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/grasp+at+straws <http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/grasp+at+straws> :
grasp at straws
Also, clutch at straws. Make a desperate attempt at saving oneself. For example, He had lost the argument, but he kept grasping at straws, naming numerous previous cases that had little to do with this one. This metaphoric expression alludes to a drowning person trying to save himself by grabbing at flimsy reeds. First recorded in 1534, the term was used figuratively by the late 1600s.

I am not at all opposed to using desperate measures to find or save a hypothesis that is very important to you. Max Planck described his efforts to fit the black body radiation equation using quantized energies of hypothetical oscillators as an "act of desperation”.  So you are of course free to keep desperately trying to save your 2-particle electron hypothesis. I personally think that your many talents in physics could be better spent in other ways, for example in revising your electron model to make it more consistent with experimental facts.

   By the way, van der Waals forces do not "bind atoms to form a molecule". They are attractive or repulsive forces between molecules or between parts of a molecule. According to Wikipedia:

" the van der Waals forces (or van der Waals' interaction), named after Dutch <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands> scientist <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientist> Johannes Diderik van der Waals <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Diderik_van_der_Waals>, is the sum of the attractive or repulsive forces between molecules <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecule> (or between parts of the same molecule) other than those due to covalent bonds <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covalent_bond>, or the electrostatic interaction <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_interaction> of ions <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion> with one another, with neutral molecules, or with charged molecules.[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waals_force#cite_note-1> The resulting van der Waals forces can be attractive or repulsive.[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Waals_force#cite_note-Van_OssAbsolom1980-2>

with best regards,
      Richard