[General] Delayed Birth Anouncement

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 09:42:07 PST 2015

Dear Family, friends, and colleagues,

It is the day after Thanksgiving and we had much to give thanks for.

On July 28, 2015, my wife, Rachel, gave birth in Maryland to twin boys,
Grant and Remington Meulenberg. They were delivered nearly 10 weeks early
because Remington was not getting sufficient nutrient in he womb for his
needs. This early delivery was on the day we were scheduled to fly back to
India.

The boys spent the next month in the neo-natal intensive-care unit (NICU)
getting ready to come home. While this entailed a lot of commuting for us
(nearly 1 hour each way), we were thankful to have Rachel’s mother
available to also spend time in the hospital with the boys during a portion
of this time. The upside of this early delivery and the boys’ time in the
NICU was that I had the opportunity to prepare and present two (non-cold
fusion) papers at, and to coauthor another one for, the SPIE conference in
San Diego. That work and event, originally scheduled when we thought that
we only had a single baby coming, was to be sacrificed when we found out we
had twins on the way.

The twins have been home for nearly 3 months now and are doing very well
(despite Remington needing 2 operations for a hernia). Thank God for modern
medicine – and the insurance to pay for it, for good friends (e.g., Bob and
Mary in putting up with us during the crisis), and for the many prayers of
our friends. Neither Rachel nor I have been getting enough sleep since the
babies came home;  but, I have learned that physics is no longer my highest
priority and it now gets only an hour or two of my time each day.

We (see photo) intend to return to India in the next 10 days. We hope to
get more sleep and work time at that point. However, there will be many
things to catch up on there, so more time in the near future may only be
wishful thinking.

Best to all,

Andrew and Rachel