[General] nature of light particles & theories

Dr. Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Mon Oct 12 06:13:42 PDT 2015

Hi Al,

I do not see any conflict if the situation with synchronized clocks is
obeyed as I explained it in my last mail (see below). Those clock
assemblies show dilation, but do not present any logical conflict.

When looking at a real situation one has to identify the observed object
on the one hand with a clock in the example, and on the other hand the
observer with another clock or a sequence of other clocks. If we observe
a moving particle (like a muon) in a laboratory, than the muon is
represented by one clock in the moving system. In this case the observer
is represented by a line of clocks positioned along the path of the
muon. Because, if we think in an idealized way, we have first to note
the time when the muon starts by looking at the clock which is close to
the muon at start time. When the muon decays we have for the decay time
to look to the clock which is close to the muon at that moment.

This may look ridiculous as for the observer in the lab all clocks have
the same indication. But from the "view" of the muon the clock at rest
at the start looks advanced and the clock at the end looks retarded. So
the muon has the impression that the time in the lab was slowed down.

As a reminder: The equation for time transformation is:  t' = gamma* (t
- vx / c^2 )  (i.e. the Lorentz transformation). Here is x the position
of that clock which is close to the moving object at the time of
observation. And that position is x = v*t if the observer it at rest.
So, for this observer there is t' = t/gamma. For a co-moving observer
there is v = 0, so the result is t' = t*gamma. Both results are covered
by this equation, and there is no logical conflict.

Best wishes
Albrecht

---