[General] nature of light particles & theories

John Duffield johnduffield at btconnect.com
Mon Oct 12 13:28:42 PDT 2015

When it comes to the muon, I think it’s simplest to think of it as light
going round and round and round. And then to say it does so for circa one
zillion revolutions before the muon decays. Only if it’s moving fast it
isn’t going round and round and round in a circle, it’s helical instead.
Hence the one zillion revolutions take longer. So the muon lifetime is
extended.

Then once the muon has decayed and a more-or-less massless chargeless
neutrino has departed at the speed of light, all you’re left with is light
going round and round. We then call it an electron.

As regards symmetrical time dilation, I agree it’s akin to perspective.
When we are separated by distance, I say you look smaller than me, and you
say I look smaller than you. But we don’t then say whoa paradox! Nor should
we say that when we are separated by relative motion. Our time is just the
number of reflections on our parallel-mirror light clock
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation#Simple_inference_of_time_dilati
on_due_to_relative_velocity> . And the light in that clock either looks like
this | or it looks like this /\/\/\/\/\. It’s like the circle and the helix
viewed from the side. Special relativity works because of the wave nature of
matter, as per the attached The Other Meaning of Special Relativity by
Robert Close.

Regards

John D