[General] [SPAM?] Re: research papers

Adam K afokay at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 08:02:24 PDT 2015

Richard,

Yeah, that's a good one. I've always liked this one, from Karl Popper:  *The
Copenhagen interpretation - or, more precisely, the view of the status of
quantum mechanics which Bohr and Heisenberg defended - was, quite simply,
that quantum mechanics was the last, the final, the never-to-be-surpassed
revolution in physics. [...] These were claimed to show that physics has
reached the end of the road...**this epistemological claim I regarded, and
still regard, as outrageous.*

I doubt that Bohr et al. would have explicitly made such a claim, but I
believe Popper that their positions boiled down to this claim. There is
much instruction for us in the strange repetition of history in this
regard. Physicists seem to have a habit of considering that the picture is
complete and now there is only a bit of dustpan work to be done.

Adam