[General] Dark Matter == Polarized Vacuum?

davidmathes8 at yahoo.com davidmathes8 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 27 19:55:12 PDT 2015

Rich, John W, Martin and all,
Two papers may be of interest to those building or refining electron models, especially those with  early universe electron models. These papers are about to be published in Physics Review Letters .
>From LLNL, New 'stealth dark matter' theory may explain mystery of the universe's missing mass
Through a combination of computer simulations and theoretical results, researchers Pavlos Vranas and colleagues (editor's note: Applequist et al) have now developed a "stealth dark matter" model that could help unravel the mystery of why dark matter behaves like it does, what particles make it up, and what force binds them. Crucially, the model offers assumptions that physicists should be able to test using CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) particle accelerator. The stealth dark matter model predicts that dark matter is stable, but also produces large quantities of electrically charged, unstable nuclear particles. These short-lived particles, now long decayed, would have left a definite mark in the very early universe, with the extremely high plasma temperatures forcing them to interact with ordinary matter. "These interactions in the early universe are important because ordinary and dark matter abundances today are strikingly similar in size, suggesting this occurred because of a balancing act performed between the two before the universe cooled," says Vranas.
   -

   -

   - 1.  arXiv:1503.04205 [pdf, other]
      - Direct Detection of Stealth Dark Matter through Electromagnetic PolarizabilityThomas Appelquist, Evan Berkowitz, Richard C. Brower, Michael I. Buchoff, George T. Fleming, Xiao-Yong Jin, Joe Kiskis, Graham D. Kribs, Ethan T. Neil, James C. Osborn, Claudio Rebbi, Enrico Rinaldi, David Schaich, Chris Schroeder, Sergey Syritsyn, Pavlos Vranas, Evan Weinberg, Oliver WitzelComments: 6 pages, 2 figures, citations added, typos fixed, minor clarificationsSubjects: High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph); High Energy Physics - Lattice (hep-lat)
Full ABSTRACT: We calculate the spin-independent scattering cross section for direct detection that results from the electromagnetic polarizability of a composite scalar baryon dark matter candidate -- "Stealth Dark Matter", that is based on a dark SU(4) confining gauge theory. In the nonrelativistic limit, electromagnetic polarizability proceeds through a dimension-7 interaction leading to a very small scattering cross section for dark matter with weak scale masses. This represents a lower bound on the scattering cross section for composite dark matter theories with electromagnetically charged constituents. We carry out lattice calculations of the polarizability for the lightest baryons in SU(3) and SU(4) gauge theories using the background field method on quenched configurations. We find the polarizabilities of SU(3) and SU(4) to be comparable (within about 50%) normalized to the baryon mass, which is suggestive for extensions to larger SU(N) groups. The resulting scattering cross sections with a xenon target are shown to be potentially detectable in the dark matter mass range of about 200-700 GeV, where the lower bound is from the existing LUX constraint while the upper bound is the coherent neutrino background. Significant uncertainties in the cross section remain due to the more complicated interaction of the polarizablity operator with nuclear structure, however the steep dependence on the dark matter mass, 1/m^6  B, suggests the observable dark matter mass range is not appreciably modified. We briefly highlight collider searches for the mesons in the theory as well as the indirect astrophysical effects that may also provide excellent probes of stealth dark matter.
   - 2.  arXiv:1503.04203 [pdf, other]
      - Stealth Dark Matter: Dark scalar baryons through the Higgs portalThomas Appelquist, Richard C. Brower, Michael I. Buchoff, George T. Fleming, Xiao-Yong Jin, Joe Kiskis, Graham D. Kribs, Ethan T. Neil, James C. Osborn, Claudio Rebbi, Enrico Rinaldi, David Schaich, Chris Schroeder, Sergey Syritsyn, Pavlos Vranas, Evan Weinberg, Oliver WitzelComments: 15 pages, 3 figures, citations added, typos fixed, minor clarificationsSubjects: High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph); High Energy Physics - Lattice (hep-lat)ABSTRACT QUOTE: We present a new model of "Stealth Dark Matter": a composite baryonic scalar of an SU(ND) strongly-coupled theory with even ND≥4.
Best Regards,

David