[General] inertia

Albrecht Giese genmail at a-giese.de
Sun Apr 10 11:59:12 PDT 2016

John,

Yes, any extended object has inertia. I think that this is not too
difficult to understand and to visualize. So again:

What makes an object to be extended? The constituents have to be bound
to each other so as to maintain a distance. If now one of the
constituents is moved, the other constituents will follow to keep this
distance. But that does not happen instantaneously as the binding field
propagates "only" with the speed of light. That means that for a very
short time the other constituents remain where they are and the binding
fields originating in them will not change. So, for this short time the
constituent being moved has to be taken out of the potential minimum of
the fields of the other constituents. This requires a force. After a
short time, the speed of light permits the other particles to move and
also their fields to move. And as a consequence there is no longer a
force necessary. - This fact that for an intermediate time a force is
necessary to change the motion state of an object is called inertia. -
Really too difficult?

The calculation shows that in fact a smaller object has more inertia. It
is proportional to the inverse of the distance of the constituents. The
reason is that on the one hand the binding field is universal for all
elementary particles, on the other hand the strength of the forces is
higher at smaller distances, as we know it from all forces. As I have
said many times, the model provides precise results. This can be found
on my web site for those interested. This precision applies of course
also to the relation between size and mass.

Since the time when I started this discussion about inertia 15 years
ago, I have made the experience that a certain portion of discussion
partners (maybe 10 to 20 percent) have  problems to understand and to
visualize this process of inertia. Those persons are mainly physicists
working in theory and who are more specialized for algebra than for
physics. But a minority. Last month we had the spring conference of the
German Physical Society here in Hamburg about particle physics. Even
though I had to give my talks about inertia and about the error of de
Broglie in one out of 22 parallel sessions, most people came into my
session. The acceptance and the discussion about these topics was very
encouraging. And this is my permanent experience.

Albrecht