[General] Gravitational Waves and de Broglie Waves

John Macken john at macken.com
Fri Feb 12 15:11:29 PST 2016

Hello Everyone,

It has been some time since I have contributed to the discussion but I now
have something new to say because of the historic gravitational wave
announcement yesterday. It may seem as if gravitational waves are far
removed from particles, forces and de Broglie waves, but in my world there
is a strong connection.  There has been a lot of discussion in the group
about the properties of spacetime.  However, the discussion has largely
ignored all the work done on gravitational waves.  These waves propagate in
the medium of spacetime and they reveal a lot of concrete information about
the properties of spacetime.

Until yesterday there has been a lot of doubt about whether the
theoretically predicted properties of gravitational waves were correct.
Serious efforts to detect gravitational waves have been unsuccessful for
over more than 25.  We now know that the problem was that the detectors
were not sensitive enough rather than a mistake in the concept or
equations.  A few weeks after the sensitivity of LIGO was increased by a
factor of 3, they detected the first gravitational wave.  The first signal
detected came from two black holes merging about 1.3 billion years ago.
The detected pattern exactly matches the theoretical wave pattern predicted
for the merging of two black holes.  The signal was a strain wave in
spacetime which had a frequency chirp from about 30 Hz to about 250 Hz.
The following link is the first official technical paper on the subject
(note the hundreds of authors)  :
https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102

The details about the emitted and detected waves gives support to the model
of the universe that I have been proposing.  I want to make several points.

1)     There is now no doubt that the impedance of spacetime is Zs = c3/G =
4 x 1035 kg/s.  This comes from gravitational wave equations.  This
impedance has been known to the community of scientists working on
gravitational waves for a long time (references available).  However, now
all physicists must admit that spacetime has this important property.  I
claim that all the quantum mechanical wave properties can be analyzed using
the impedance of spacetime.

2)     This large impedance implies that spacetime is not an empty void.
This impedance is a measurable property of spacetime that is about 28
orders of magnitude larger than the impedance of steel. An empty void would
have no impedance.  Also impedance implies an elastic medium which has the
ability to absorb energy and return energy to a propagating wave.

3)     The model of the vacuum that I have proposed fits perfectly with
this impedance. Quantum mechanics implies that there is a Planck length
uncertainty in the distance between points and a Planck time uncertainty in
the time dimension.  If this is modeled as waves in spacetime which are
continuously modulating distance by Planck length and modulating the rate
of time by Planck time, then suddenly everything fits.

4)     Using gravitational wave equations and the impedance of spacetime,
it is possible to test the hypothesis that spacetime is really filled with
these small amplitude waves.  I have shown that zero point energy exactly
fits this model.

5)     All the forces are explained not by mysterious virtual photons and
mysterious gravitons but by waves and distortions of this “spacetime
field”.

6)     Using quantifiable properties of spacetime and Planck length/time
waves, it is possible to move from hand waving models of particles, fields
and de Broglie waves to models which can be mathematically analyzed and
tested.

Previously I was not clear enough about whether these waves filling
spacetime fit the definition of being true “energy density”.  Suppose
that we assume that the definition of “observable” energy is: E2 = (mc2)2
+ (pc)2.  All the fermions and bosons meet this definition of being
observable energy.  I claim that the difference between observable energy
density (fermions and bosons) and the unobservable energy density of the
waves in spacetime is that observable energy possess quantized angular
momentum (spin) while unobservable energy does not possess spin.   These
Planck length/time waves have energy-like properties such as a frequency,
wave amplitude and encounter the impedance of spacetime, but without
quantized angular momentum they do not interact with fermions and bosons in
a detectable way. These Planck length/time waves are the most perfect
superfluid possible.  Their presence is felt because they are responsible
for giving spacetime constants such as: c, G, ħ, εo and Zs. Also these
small amplitude waves are responsible for uncertainty and probabilistic
characteristics of quantum mechanics.

If you treat these waves as if they had quantized angular momentum (spin),
then the maximum energy density of spacetime would be about 10113 J/m3.
However, without angular momentum to make them quantized, the vacuum
appears to be an empty void which possesses mysterious physical properties.
The moment that new angular momentum is introduced into spacetime, then
some of the incomplete energy density of the Planck length/time waves in
spacetime becomes complete and observable. For example, two spiraling black
holes introduce the missing angular momentum to some of the waves in
spacetime and they become observable gravitational waves.

I want to use information from the above referenced gravitational wave
paper to support the contention that spacetime is filled with small
amplitude waves. According to this cited paper, the peak power emitted by
these black holes as they were merging was 3.6 x 1049 watts.  This is a
tremendous power which approaches Planck power.  It is possible to drill
deeper and analyze the forces involved in the emission of this power.
Energy is force times distance.  Power (P) is force (F) divided by speed
(v).  We know the power emitted (3.6 x 1049 watts) and the paper gives the
maximum speed as about ½ the speed of light. Therefore the implied force
retarding these two merging black holes is about:

F = P/v = 3.6 x 1049 w/1.5 x 108 m/s = 2.4 x 1040 N.

Another calculation can be made of the energy density of gravitational
waves leaving the surface of the black holes at the speed of light. This
calculation gives the emitted energy density propagating through the
spacetime near the Schwarzschild radius as roughly 2 x 1029 J/m3. This is
more than 108 times greater than the E = mc2 energy density of osmium.

An interpretation of Einstein’s field equation is that there is a maximum
possible force which is: (1/8π)c4/G =  4.8 x 1042 N.  Therefore the
retarding force on the merging black holes is about 2 orders of magnitude
less than the maximum possible force.  The conservation of momentum says
that every force requires an equal and opposite reaction.  What is the
opposite reaction in this case? It is easy to say that momentum is being
transferred to the emitted gravitational waves, but then the question
becomes: What is physically happening in spacetime that allows space to
carry away this large a force and power?  If spacetime is visualized as an
empty void, then the only explanation is that the force is being
transferred to gravitons.  The more widely accepted explanation of gravity
is that gravity is a geometrical effect and not a true force.   However
this explanation is inadequate because geometry cannot extract a power of
1049 watts and a force of 1048 N. Even claiming that gravitons exist and
carry away the power is a problem. The paper is also able to place a limit
on the Compton wavelength of gravitons (if they exist). The finding is that
a graviton must have a Compton wavelength greater than 1016 m which is a
wavelength greater than 1 light year.  This obviously seems incompatible
with the emission time and frequency of the gravitational waves.

If spacetime is filled with Planck length/time waves which have an
incomplete energy density of about 10113 J/m3, then it is easy to see where
the power and offsetting force comes from.  The gravitational waves are
distorting the tremendous incomplete energy density of the spacetime field
and making it complete by adding angular momentum. This addition then
completes the requirements for the vacuum fluctuations to become observable
energy density which can transfer momentum and remove energy.

What does all of this have to do with particles, forces and de Broglie
waves? Actually I claim that all wave activity in quantum mechanics
ultimately is connected to the impedance of spacetime and the Planck
length/time waves that fill spacetime.  I will be writing a technical paper
which explains this in more detail and uses gravitational waves as
numerical examples.  However, it is possible to find the answers if you
combine what has been said in this post with the information in two
attached papers.  I suggest reading the “foundation” paper first if you
are interested.

John M.