[General] double photon cycle, subjective v objective realities

Vivian Robinson viv at universephysics.com
Wed Jul 13 17:23:50 PDT 2016

Dear All,

I have been following the discussions concerning the rotating photon model of an electron, also known by other descriptions. General consensus (which doesn't necessarily make it correct), is that an electron at rest is a photon of energy ≈ 0.511 MeV that makes two revolutions within its wavelength. (Others suggest one revolution). In my calculations I showed the equivalence of E = mc^2, with energy being the photon travelling in a straight line and m being the same photon travelling in a circle of radius r = lambda/4π, i.e. two revolutions per wavelength. This give angular momentum I.omega = hbar/2. The double loop means that the electric and magnetic fields overlap, reinforcing each other in circularly polarised photons.

It is suggested there are two reasons for a photon to travel in the circular orbit. John W and Martin vdM suggest a mathematical derivation. My paper suggests the continual emission and absorption of virtual or field photons will cause the rotating photon to travel its trajectory. QED calculations suggest the photon exchange is the mechanism of charge interaction. I suggest the rotating photon model is the origin of electric charge. I have not calculated the value of unit charge "e".

Richard G pointed out an error in my calculations of the magnetic moment equals electric charge times radius. I now explain the Bohr magneton by including a contribution from the photon's B field.

As the photon moves, its circular trajectory becomes a two looped spiral. The constancy of the speed of light c and angular momentum half hbar mean that its movement automatically introduces the relativistic corrections into its motion. As the electron's energy increases, its mass increases while its angular momentum remains the same. This requires the rotating photon's radius to decrease. The constancy of the speed of light means that the photon's rotation must slow down. This is the origin of time dilation with velocity. The rotating photon must also adopt a linear forward motion component. This means the rotating photon does not have to make as many rotations to travel the distance measured by an observer at rest. This is the origin of the length contraction. In those calculations, everything is governed by the special relativity correction gamma. The rotating photon model is the origins of the special relativity correction term gamma. It is not subject to it.

That model suggests that the mass of an electron will increase with its velocity, its electric charge remains the same and its magnetic moment decreases. IMHO, any other physical model for the origin of electric charge as a property of the electron would require its electric charge and magnetic moment to increase with its mass.

In my paper I indicate a number of properties that this model matches with experimentally measured properties of the electron. I also indicate a few properties that are not yet known (or known but not recognised). I am quite prepared to let my model rise or fall based upon the accuracy or otherwise of those predictions. In observing the correspondence I see it is primarily about people feeling it necessary to point out the advantages of their model over those of other models. What I don't see is people supporting their model by experimental observation. How many times must people be told that experiment is reality. If you want others to agree with your model, show how it matches observation and preferably make predictions that can be tested experimentally.

As far as I am concerned I have extended it to the proton, neutron and neutrino as stable particles,as well as muons, pions and lots of other unstable subatomic particles. One of these days I must get some more time to publish them.

 Please! If you want people to believe your results match it with experiment and preferably make predictions. If you want to disagree with someone's work use experimental evidence. Mathematics is fine and necessary. But it must support physical effects, not replace them. People can and do use mathematics to prove whatever they want. Generally it is so complicated that "mere mortals" can't understand it. QCD is the best example of that. without ever having isolated a single quark or gluon they have derived a complex set of mathematics that they must change every time a new observations is not as predicted. We live in a universe with three space dimensions and time.

IMHO, modern experimentalists are pretty good. If they haven't detected isolated quarks and gluons now, the best explanation is that they don't exist. Despite all their complexity they (the "experts") can't get unity between relativity and quantum mechanics. I suggest that this model of the electron will explain its properties in atoms where it is nearly at rest as well as its special relativistic behaviour.

Cheers,

Vivian Robinson