[General] Matter comprised of light-speed energy

Vivian Robinson viv at universephysics.com
Mon Jun 6 23:28:21 PDT 2016

Richard,

Regarding the reference on relativistic Doppler effect on photons. The influence of that effect is in the calculation of redshift versus distance over galactic scales, associated with the expanding universe theory. Without that effect, the redshift, z, of light from distant galaxies would be given by z = v/c, where v is the recessional velocity of the galaxy and c is the speed of light. This would mean z > 1 was not possible. Adding that relativistic correction gives the relationship [(1 + z)^2 - 1]/[(1 + z)^2 + 1] = v/c, explaining why z > 1 is observed. It has no other effect.

Regarding the cause of electric charge, my paper suggested that charge was due the rotating photon continually emitting and absorbing virtual (or field) photons to enable it to rotate. That places strict limitations on my model. Charge is generated at the circumference of the rotating photon and is two dimensional in nature (at least close to the electron). Please remember that QED theory postulates that charge is due to the exchange of photons. Those photons don't just suddenly appear when charged particles come close to each other. IMHO those (virtual or field) photons are being continually emitted and absorbed to enable the photon that is the particle to rotate. It is only when the two exchange photons that they influence each other, which influence can, I believe, be calculated from QED.

I won't go into detail here - it takes too long. One mechanism by which exchange can occur is by the energy of those photons increasing and then decreasing. If an external low energy photon (low frequency and long wavelength) were to approach the electron, the rotating photon could not distinguish it and would absorb it. In this manner, a very small particle like an electron can absorb a very large, low energy photon. In the reverse effect, the emitting rotating photon similarly loses its photon. Their changed state causes them to be either attracted or repelled to/from each other, depending upon the exchange. That is my suggestion for the origin of electric charge.

If you read that paper you will see that my model has several other specific points. The positron is an electron energy photon rotating in the opposite direction with respect to the magnetic field from an electron. This makes it a mirror image of an electron.  A spin up electron is the "other side of the page" image of a spin down electron, or whatever spin nomenclature you choose to use. The rotating photon is always spinning. Fractional spin is not possible. Quantum superposition is not about an electron having two states imposed at once. It is always spinning in one direction only. It is that you can't tell the direction it is spinning until you measure it. The results of the measurement also depend upon from which direction the measurement is made.

An electron can only move perpendicular to the plane of its photon's rotation. It is at that stage that the relativistic correction gamma is applied. The photon corkscrews its way through space. However because it is required to travel at c, its time slows down while maintaining the same spin (angular momentum). This requires the rotation to slow down, giving it a forward slip motion. Thus it doesn't have to make as many spirals to get from its origin to its destination. That is the reason it sees itself travelling a shorter distance. That correction involves gamma. Under that model, any observer who measures c will always get the same answer, irrespective of his/her local conditions.

All I am suggesting is that what I have proposed matches observation and makes some predictions that can be tested experimentally. Anybody is free to disagree as seen fit. However I must restate: Do it because my predictions don't match observation. I am unaware of any observation that doesn't fit the electron as described in that paper. Since writing it I have extended my work, including correcting my magnetic field error as you pointed out.

I am not proposing a new type of photon, being prepared to work with what we call down under, "the common garden variety". I am just trying to work out what is that "common variety". One of my predictions about "common variety" photons is that circularly polarised photons have angular momentum and plane polarised photons do not. Wikipedia (not that it is an authority, but it does give easy access to information)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_angular_momentum_of_light

suggests that circularly polarised photons have their spin because of the rotating electromagnetic field. On the other hand, the extract attached, taken from the below reference, suggests that plane polarised photons don't have angular momentum.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwji55-yh5XNAhVi5aYKHToVBm8QFgg2MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcern.ch%2Fteachers%2Farchiv%2FHST2008%2Fteacherslab%2FThe%2520photon%2520angular%2520momentum%2520J%2520KOSEK.ppt&usg=AFQjCNG3XmzGkWUt8DuS-WSfZ4UCkYrq2w&bvm=bv.123664746,d.dGo
If you can't access it, try searching for:- Kosek, angular momentum. It is worth a glance if you are interested in photon structure.

As far as I am concerned this supports the idea that photons are electromagnetic oscillation in permittivity and permeability and their existence gives those photons mass according to all the usual equations. The mass associated with their field rotating gives them angular momentum. Quantum mechanics practitioners call that spin, but deny that it is angular momentum. That is another reason why I don't like quantum mechanics. If they can't explain something, they invent a term. Of course you can get the right answer if you invent something. The problems come when you invent something and don't get the right answer.

Getting back to the "common variety" photon and the structure of matter. The oscillation gives the photon its wave properties, frequency, wavelength, diffraction, interference etc. Its limited extent gives it the properties of a particle. IMHO photons are not point particles with properties attached as in a Hamiltonian. The photon can have both wave and particle properties at the same time.

It doesn't take too much to work out that individual charged particles, electron, proton, muon and tau, are rotating circularly polarised photons. Individual neutral particles, neutron and neutrino, are rotating plane polarised photons. This explains the hbar intrinsic spin difference between a proton and neutron. The neutrino has a very small mass and some other unique properties.

If you believe I am wrong, please support it by experimental evidence. I have made enough predictions about the electron for it to be challenged if there is evidence it is not correct. I wish to learn as much as I can about the "common variety" photon. In the interest of this discussion, I believe we should first understand the "common variety" photon and only when it can't explain much, should photons made up of rotars, hods or any other new variety, be hypothesised.

Cheers,

Vivian Robinson