[General] Matter comprised of light-speed energy

John Duffield johnduffield at btconnect.com
Thu Jun 16 00:38:16 PDT 2016

Colin:

I’m afraid the situation with SR isn’t quite what you think.

See the Einstein digital papers <http://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol4-trans/271?highlightText=abandoned> . Einstein abandoned the constant-speed-of-light postulate when he was formulating GR:

He said light can only curve where the speed of light is spatially variable <http://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol7-trans/156?highlightText=%22spatially%20variable%22>  and that special relativity only applies to a limiting case that is nowhere precisely realised in the real world.

.

I rather think people like Penrose (and Hawking, and Ellis, and Misner Thorne and Wheeler) appeal to Einstein’s authority whilst flatly contradicting the guy. The relativity that is taught is misleading in some important respects, and that has caused problems for electromagnetic geometry <https://www.google.co.uk/#q=electromagnetic+geometry> . Einstein said space is inhomogeneous where a gravitational field is <http://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol7-trans/192?highlightText=%22neither%20homogeneous%22> , and IMHO it is curved where a photon is, as per Maxwell’s transverse undulations. If Wheeler had understood the difference between curved space and curved spacetime, he woldn’t have called it a geon.

See the attached Other Meaning of General Relativity by Robert Close to understand that we always measure the speed of light to be the same  - because of the wave nature of matter. We calibrate our rods and clocks using the local motion of waves, then use them to measure the local motion of waves. It’s a tautology, like Magueijo and Moffat said in http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.4507. Also see http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html  As to why this isn’t common knowledge, I don’t know. But I suspect it’s something to do with peer review, and that overcoming this “inherent limitation” to break out of the corner is the real issue.

Regards

John Duffield

Poole, UK