[General] PS: Matter comprised of light-speed energy

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:00:05 PDT 2016

Hi John and Grahame and others,

   I’m looking forward to further discussions about relativity also. But I think we should begin with what are established experimental facts related to relativity and particles, whether we call them facts of special relativity or just facts. (And I understand that even facts don’t exist in a theoretical vacuum.) For example, an electron of mass m and velocity v has factual momentum p=gamma mv, whether you call this its relativistic momentum or just its momentum. (There are quantum-theory-related facts also.) Similarly, the total factual energy E of a moving free electron is E=gamma mc^2 whether you call this the total relativistic energy of the electron, or just its total energy. And the factual energy and inertial mass relationship Eo=mc^2 of a resting electron may not depend on relativity at all. These dynamical facts and relationships are used to guide electrons, protons etc. around or along accelerators every day. Similarly, the useful energy-momentum equation of an electron E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4 is also an experimental factual relationship. I don’t think anyone here is trying to deny these experimental factual relationships. To the limit of current experimental accuracy they are correct expressions. Of course there is no harm in either challenging or trying to explain these factual relations. These factual relations (some containing gamma) can then be helpful in developing theoretical models of electrons, photons or other particles, such as circulating-photon models of the electron. This can hopefully lead to new experimental facts and technological applications as well as deeper understandings, including deeper understandings about space and time, matter and energy.

    Richard