[General] Non-Interaction of Waves - Time Modulation

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:07:56 PDT 2016

John M.:

I am very happy that you are raising many fundamental issues behind my proposed concept of CTF (Complex Tension Field).
     I am not as good a theoretician as I am a  good experimentalist. So, I welcome critical opinions from skilled theoreticians in this discussion forum.
     I am not wedded to my concept of CTF forever. Because, it has not been developed yet to accommodate localized self-looped oscillations to model existing particles. Second, like postulates behind any theory; it is only a plausible postulate. However, the CTF postulate has helped me understand and explain a wide range of optical phenomena  from classical, quantum optics and cosmological physics; which are presented in my book, “Causal Physics”.
     My philosophy is to keep on iterating and iterating all “working theories”, while trying to visualize the invisible interaction processes (Interaction Process Mapping Epistemology, or IPM-E). And, in the process, keep on re-formulating all the foundational postulates behind all working theories, going back to all the way to Newton’s laws. We now know that “mass” is not the “substance”, but a transformable manifestation of some cosmic energy. It is the inertia to induce spatial displacement to a particle, or an assembly of them, which we experience as “mass” and got stuck with that notion of “mass”, instead of updating our knowledge. I call the 100% of that cosmic energy source as contained in (held by) the Complex Tension Field (CTF).

Now, coming back to your points regarding the “rate of change” and  the “running time”. You have raised critically important issues in formulating any serious theory. Remember that our very very ancient forefathers, 3.5 billion years back, including back to the viruses and bacteria, succeeded in helping us to be here today by consistently practicing “evidence based” food and knowledge gathering repertoire. [The viruses are better entrepreneurs today than we humans are! They only need two weeks’ notice to tweak their molecular feeding “hands” to over-ride human produced anti-viral molecules!] Naturally, even the modern physicists have been advancing by following this most successful “evidence based” approach. Apply desired sensorial action; gather feedback; repeat what works; that is the evolution, mind and body!

Our “evidences” are observable (measurable) physical transformations in the “material” universe that are getting manifest all around us all the time through mutual energy exchange process. All such physical transformations have their own characteristics finite time rate of changes, or an interaction period. [There are no “collapse of wave function”!]. But, here is the clincher. “Rate of change”, whether it is the movement of a wave crest at a spatially fixed location of a tension field (hence wave velocity), or the radioactive decay rate of some radioactive (unstable) nuclei; the “rate of change”, “delta-tee”, is fundamentally a different physical parameter compared to the running time “tee” , that we humans have smartly invented. We measure this “interaction period” (inverse of “delta-tee”) by comparing with another reproducible period of some standard oscillator. This is how the “evidence based science” advances – quantitative comparison with a reproducible standard.
     But, when we apply this methodology of “evidence based science”, I do not find the existence of any standard device in nature that keeps the running time “tee” for quantitative comparison (measurement). So, our clever forefathers have figured out that the inverse of the frequency of a natural oscillator can serve as a measuring standard for  a time interval, “delta tee”. And by counting the frequency many times, we can also quantitatively measure longer time intervals. This does give us the semblance of measuring a “running time”; somewhat. But, let us not forget that the real physical parameter is the physical frequency of an oscillator.
     My point is this. The concept of “running time” is a very smart and convenient concept invented by human ingenuity to construct theories. But, nature has not provided us with an “evidence based” (naturally existing) directly measurable standard comparator for the “running time”; like we have for the “time interval” as the inversion of a standard oscillator frequency. Accordingly, I have strong aversion to accepting that nature physically functions as a four dimensional system, notwithstanding Einstein and Minkowski. My strong view is that we should not assign such physical properties on to nature that nature herself is not displaying as an obvious measurable property.

As Einstein said, “a theory determines what we can measure”. Thus, “evidence based science” with theoretical parameters non-existent in nature does not reflect reality of nature. We can manipulate the frequencies of various oscillators by altering their physical environment. I have not been able to figure out what natural object I can put in my laboratory control and manipulate its physical properties using some available physical forces to alter the value of the intrinsic running time of my laboratory. [I do interact with physicists who deeply believe in the possibilities of time travel in future by manipulating Space-Time 4D! Of course, I am not knowledgeable enough to declare that would be impossible!]

Now, your last point “….incorporate time modulation into your CTF model. ” The tension fields are normally steady and quiescent to allow for the generation and propagation of fixed velocity waves. Mechanical tension of Guitar strings, water surface tension of a quiet pond, pressure tension field of a quiet air --- all these tension fields do remain quiet until perturbed. But, once we introduce a perturbation, a time-rate of change in the local values of the tension-restoration comes into play. A low energy perturbation gives rise to perpetually propagating linear waves. If the excitation is very energetic, it can possibly develop (in a fluid tension field) some vortex-like self-looped oscillations. The modeling is dependent upon the mathematical skill of the theoretician!

One more issue with the “evidence based science”. It is not the final arbitrator as to whether a theory has extracted the final reality out of nature or not. A working mathematical theory does not at all guarantee that we have modeled nature perfectly. That is the reason why we all agree that all working theories are “work in  progress”; none are final; whether they were constructed by Newton or Einstein! The reason is not all that complicated. First, Einstein’s point, “a theory determines what we can measure”. We have figured out how to measure “running time” round-about way by inverting the “frequency” parameter and then counting larger and larger number of frequency of the standard oscillator. Obviously, the “evidence” here is not directly connected with any real physical parameters of nature.
     Another permanent glitch in the “evidence’ gathering system -- our instruments. No measurement can give us complete information about any interactant under considerations. The reasons are two-fold. First, humans have not succeeded in inventing any instrument that has 100% fidelity in converting interactants-generated data by the instrument. Second, we do not have complete knowledge of any reference interactants that can help us figure out the complete information about another partially known interactant. Given the way we understand nature so far, this is a permanent information gap humans have to continue to suffer from. In fact, this is the reason why we revere super intelligent scientists. Their genius minds hypothesize (cook up) new information that matches the “evidence” (data).

So far, such cooked up postulates have kept us moving forward. But, if we do not try to anchor ourselves on how to get deeper into natures reality, pure mathematical theories my divert us into believing in a “cooked up” nature, rather than evolving into the real nature for a long time to come! This is the reason, why I presented, “The urgency of evolution process congruent thinking in physics”, at our last SPIE conference.

Sincerely,
Chandra.