[General] charged photons

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 03:35:22 PDT 2017

Dear Richard,

I am still recovering from a recent move (last week) of the family from
India back to the US. During this period, I had to put physics out of my
mind and I lost much of my short term memory of the subject. This loss
included (I believe) Montanus' email, which I liked. Once I have regained
my equilibrium here, I hope to reconnect with the on-going Nature of Light
discussions.

For the past couple of years, I have had to devote all of my physics time
to an issue in "Cold Fusion," the deep electron orbits predicted by the
relativistic QM and Dirac equations. This study of electrons with a binding
energy in the 500 keV range has led to a maturation of my ideas about the
electron, as (in your language) a bound, spin-1/2, charged, photon, and its
relativistic interaction with nucleons.

I still need to edit and organize my published and unpublished papers on
the subject of light and matter. However, to give a short answer to
Montanus' and your questions about radiation from an accelerating photon, I
have attached a paper (which you may have refereed).
A. Meulenberg, W. R. Hudgins, and R. F. Penland, “The photon to
electron/positron-pair transition,” *Proc. SPIE*. 9570, The Nature of
Light: What are Photons? VI, 95700S. (September 10, 2015) doi:
10.1117/12.2187489

Critical to the understanding of the connection between radiation
(generally photonic) and charge is recognition of the electric field
(oscillating in the photon and steady in the electron). Next one must
consider what the term acceleration entails. It is the result of an
interaction between EM fields from different sources. The photon does not
radiate photons; the oscillating dipole field of the interaction of the EM
fields of a bound electron and a positive charge does so. Similarly, the
interaction between the
oscillating EM fields of a photon and the field gradient of a charge can
cause 'rectification' of the photon and, if resonant (i.e., quantized), the
separation of the fields into unit charges.

Only if one is already comfortable, or at least grappling, with the concept
of the electron as a bound photon can this abbreviated picture of pair
production make any sense. The closest that the uninitiated can come to the
concept is in the 'mixing' of interacting fields and 're-emission' of a
photon in Compton scattering. The field interaction is generally ignored
because the result can be predicted by simple mathematics alone.

Andrew M.

PS.  my guess is that the spin-1/2 charged photon and Weyl fermion are both
virtual particles that exist in a transition between observable states.
_ _ _