[General] Role of observer, a deeper path to introspection

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Mon Aug 7 09:09:36 PDT 2017

I completely agree with John on this (though not on certain other things).  Moreover, I see nothing inconsistent about a wave interfering with itself; it actually gives us some very useful pointers to what is happening in the process of 'photon absorption' (sometimes ludicrously called 'photon annihilation' - now there's a concept I DO think is ridiculous!), if we consider the repeatedly experimentally-demonstrated facts.  I look at this in some depth in my book.  It also completely destroys the popular (equally ludicrous) notion of the so-called 'quantum leap' (i.e. transition of an electron from one orbital to another with no in-between state) and so gives us invaluable inside information on the nature of an electron as it orbits an atomic nucleus - and so the nature of an electron per se.

Taking that a step or two further, it shows the fallacy of 'wave-particle duality': EVERYthing is a wave - ALL of the time.  Particulate behaviour IS in the eye of the beholder, i.e. an observer effect - a consequence of our limited perception: we DO NOT SEE the full extent of a 'particle', simply the innermost 'core' - due to the nature of our own perceptual faculties (which are also actually wavelive in their nature and behaviour).

Grahame