[General] STR twin Paradox

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Aug 24 00:24:04 PDT 2017

Another thing,

I should have picked up on Al's comment:
"
The real problem, John, is that textbooks have two explanations; which they pull out often within the same page!   In one the time or space alterations are actually ontological, in the other just apparitions or artifacts of perception as realized using the E&M interaction.  Something is misunderstood or wrong.   "

I agree completely.

There are, indeed, confused messages from the textbook, depending on which bit of the relativistic elephant the author perceives, and not just limited to the ontological and the perception. Another big one is, indeed, that SR is somehow fundamental. It is not. One can derive it from Maxwell, from general covariance, or from the observed variation of energy with frequency as well as the standard textbook obfuscation of filling space with lots of "observers" not moving with respect to the prime observer. It is a simple consequence if one postulates that everything is made of light and communicates with other entities using light signals. It is an absolute requirement if one requires both field and energy to add linearly - as I showed in the "photon" paper submitted to SPIE.

It is not prime, and never was, but is derived.

Regards, JohnW.