[General] Photon Structure

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:17:44 PST 2017

Hi Al

The definitions of “hypothetical” are various.  The least strict of which is simply, “assumed by hypothesis”.

The more general (and strict) definition is “conjectural; not well supported by available evidence”.

So if you intended the more general definition in the context below then I strongly object and disagree.

The T-Rex is also “hypothetical” in the sense that we have never actually seen one. But the evidence of its existence is convincing.

After all, when we get right down to the specifics, almost all of what we think we know is “hypothetical” in some sense.

But for me that does not mean the photon does not exist. Too much evidence suggests it does, and that it has a specific set of properties.

The meteor crater in Arizona was “hypothetically” caused by a meteor.  We did not see the meteor strike, but we have the evidence, the largest of which is the hole it left.

I understand your comments and I think I understand the motivation.

Cause and effect are strong indicators, even of things we can never see.

Chip