[General] Photon Structure

John Macken john at macken.com
Mon Feb 6 13:17:29 PST 2017

Hello All,

I am building on the explanation of a photon and the universe I started on 2/2 and 2/3.  On 2/2 I explained that quantized angular momentum represents the highest level of quantization because angular momentum always comes in discrete units of ½ ħ.  The quantized energy of a photon is a lower level of quantization because a photon’s energy can be adjusted to any level depending on the frame of reference used to absorb it.  The statement was made that the transfer of energy is merely a byproduct of transferring a quantized unit of angular momentum. A wave with quantized angular momentum acquires particle-like properties

In the 2/3 post I attached a paper that showed that gravitational waves (GWs) encounter spacetime as possessing vacuum energy compatible with the energy density required of the vacuum by quantum field theory.  The equation for the vacuum energy density (Uv) encountered by a wave propagating in the medium of spacetime at angular frequency ω can be written several different ways, but the simplest is:

Uv = kω2c2/G = kc4/Gλ2       (7)

This equation uses reduced wavelength (lambda bar) = λ = c/ω. Also k is a numerical constant near 1.  For GWs, k = 1/16π but the paper explains that the more fundamental value is: k = 3/8π. This equation (7) has amazing implications.  The GW designated GW150914 at 200 Hz encountered spacetime as having energy density more than 1010 times the energy density of osmium. An electron with Compton frequency about 1020 Hz (ω = 7.7 x 1020 s-1) encounters spacetime having energy density of 1068 J/m3. It is shown that the proposed model of Planck length vacuum fluctuations explains the formation and annihilation of not only virtual electrons but all the virtual particles of the standard model. Eq. (7) was also shown to have surprising additional applications.  For example, it converts to the Friedmann equation for the critical density of the universe and converts to the equation for the energy density of black holes.  These and other tests support the validity of this model.  This background brings me to today’s point which is:

The energetic Planck length vacuum fluctuations which fill the vacuum are the basic building blocks of all particles, all fields and all forces. This sea of vacuum fluctuations is the most perfect superfluid possible.

Waves in spacetime possessing angular momentum were part of vacuum energy in the Big Bang. These waves were isolated by the superfluid properties into quantized units with angular momentum units of ½ ħ or ħ. This isolation and quantization makes the observable particles and photons present in the universe. The superfluid properties of the spacetime field are explained in section 3 of the attached paper starting on page 4.  Macroscopic superfluids are well known to isolate angular momentum into rotating vortices with ħ angular momentum. References [9 to 11] in the attached paper show pictures of the rotating vortices in a Bose-Einstein condensate superfluid. The point is made that a fundamental particle such as an electron is analogous to a quantized vortex in a Bose-Einstein superfluid.

This attached paper shows how the properties of an electron are created from this model of spacetime.  The superfluid vacuum energy has a resonance at the electron’s Compton frequency. The paper shows how ½ ħ quantized unit of angular momentum achieves the energy of an electron.  It also shows how this rotating vortex distorts the surrounding vacuum energy to create the electron’s curvature of spacetime. The paper also derives electric charge but obtains Planck charge rather than charge e.  Planck charge is the most fundamental unit of charge because it is based on the permittivity of space.  Charge e is about 11.7 times less than Planck charge (α1/2 less).  Since the gravitational force and the electrostatic force are derived from first principles in this model, new insights are obtained from this model. Predictions are made about the relative strength of these forces. One of the predictions is that the gravitational force is related to the electrostatic force through a square term explained in the paper. This is proven correct in the paper.

My next post will move on to another part of this paper which gives the model of an electric field and a photon.  Surprising predictions are made which are also proven correct. These correct predictions supports this model.

John M.