[General] Our forum in the absence of our SPIE conference.

Richard Gauthier richgauthier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:46:26 PST 2017

Albrecht,

   You write "In a physical world without massive objects momentum would not exist”.  I agree with this if by "massive objects" you include photons (which have momentum) carrying inertial mass Mi=E/c^2 even though normal photons have no invariant mass. When a hypothesized photon-like object (a spin 1/2 charged photon for example) with energy Eo and momentum Eo/c and carrying inertial mass Eo/c^2 curls up to become a resting electron, the photon-like object's inertial mass Eo/c^2 becomes the electron's invariant mass m=Eo/c^2 equal to the photon-like object's inertial mass Eo/c^2 (which is then derivable from the circling photon-like object’s circling momentum Eo/c by Newton’s 2nd law F=dp/dt = ma where a is the centripetal acceleration of the circling photon-like object.

   I think you understand that physics is not a popularity contest. Your lectures have been highly appreciated by growing audiences over the years and that is all very well and good. But this obviously does not mean that your physics hypothesis is correct. A celebrity may grow more and more famous just because he or she is already famous and so becomes even more famous. Plus your hypothesis about inertial mass, even if it is correct for extended bodies, does not apply to a circling pointlike body which the electron and other fundamental particles may be. There is no experimental evidence that I know of that the electron (when it is detected) is an extended body, except in a probabilistic sense (although it may move in an extended volume of space).

      Richard