[General] Our forum in the absence of our SPIE conference.

Roychoudhuri, Chandra chandra.roychoudhuri at uconn.edu
Thu Jan 5 11:06:15 PST 2017

Grahame and all other colleagues:

While I am very pleased to read Grahame’s endorsement of my personal views; this forum is meant for nurturing all self-consistent views that can collectively liberate our physics thinking out of the current moribund state.
      My CTF (Complex Tension Field) postulate presents a possible map to develop a self-consistent path towards a unified field theory, an original conceptual initiative of Einstein. His approach got stunted, within my limited understanding, because he tried to force-fit different existing theories while preserving their mutually contradictory foundational postulates. He did not try to re-structure the foundational postulates of all the working theories into a new coherent set of postulates; which is my recommendation. We need to try out CTF-like concept and a necessary set of postulates that allows everything as emergent property of the same foundational field; which also preserves all major observations. We do not need to re-produce all the existing theories. We need to validate all the physical observations; while avoiding the necessity of validating parameters do not represent primary physical parameters of real objects. We need to note Einstein’s advice. If our minds become slaves of a theory; it will dictate us how to construct an experiment so we can measure the desired parameter. We have two situations in physics. A set of observables guides us to invent a set of logically self-consistent postulates and then construct logical theory that quantitatively re-validates observed data; which originally guided the formulation of the postulates. Newton’s gravity is the beautiful example. Tycho Brahe and Kepler’s observations and Kepler’s empirical laws of planetary motion were the guide for Newton.
     In contrast, Einstein’s Relativity approached to solve the “non-existence of ether”. This is fundamentally flawed approach because the experimentally valid null M-M experiment did not unequivocally imply light travels through Empty Space. For “anything” to move perpetually through the vast distance, the space must physically facilitate the process. So, it is a physically real “something”. And, this was already built into Maxwell’s wave equation. Einstein ignored that. Then, to bring in mathematical logical self-consistency in his theory, he introduced another non-causal, non-physical concept – variation of the running time, “t”. Irrespective of the value of running “t” for our working theories (and organizing human social activities), it is not a measurable physical parameter of anything in this universe. We cannot directly measure or manipulate this running time “t”. However, in real practical world, there are oscillators with characteristics frequencies everywhere in this universe. And, our engineers have learned to measure these frequencies very well. Then, we invert this primary physical parameter, frequency, to create a time interval. We do know how to physically alter the natural characteristics frequencies of different physical oscillators. This allows us to alter the corresponding derived secondary parameter, the time interval. However, our experimental capability of achieving physical “contraction “ or “dilation” of the frequency of an oscillatory object does not imply we are contracting or dilating universal running time. In my view point, this is one of the most serious mis-direction of physics in the entire history of modern human evolution.

Sincerely,
Chandra.