[General] On photon momentum

Chip Akins chipakins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 13:06:34 PST 2017

Hi Dr. Grahame Blackwell

I too am finding little use in this discussion.

For me the evidence that a photon carries momentum is quite compelling.

Not only the evidence from the reaction of matter to light, but also the clear and definable results we can get for the mass of a particle if propagating energy carries momentum.  And if we conclude that propagating energy in a particle has momentum, then it is likely that any propagating energy also has momentum.

I get the feeling you don’t like the concept of momentum in light.  While it may be interesting to suggest that momentum doesn’t happen until the light hits a massive particle, the results of that assumption are at odds with the creation of mass from energy.

I have no problem with you holding the opinion that light does not carry momentum.  I just can’t accept that premise myself without a host of strong arguments which illustrate how the pieces can fit if propagating energy has no momentum. Those arguments would of course need to be simpler and more robust than the alternative.

So unless you have such a complete explanation I am finished with this momentum debate.

Chip