[General] JW on STR twin Paradox

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Tue Jul 11 06:35:57 PDT 2017

Comment for Wolf,
(also an observation on current discussion of 'greatness' of S Hawking as a scientist)

Wolf,

I don't recognise any correspondence whatsoever between your observation below and the substance of my exchange (agreement) with Albrecht.  That exchange was specifically limited to physical realities - including the physical reality of measurements that might be taken by an instrument in motion, acting as proxy for a human observer.  Hopefully that description distinguishes our conversation from the point that you are making relating to the nature of perception, and your truism that perception is a tool of the conscious mind.  I agree that we need to recognise that our conscious experience is an artefact of our own perceptual faculties as much as of our physical circumstances (I think we all agree on that), but that is a different conversation from the one between Albrecht and I - I understand from his response just received that this is how he sees it also.

You have interpreted my text as: "a consciousness inside a moving body would from his perceptive experience believe he is stationary in that body".  I wouldn't disagree with that, but your supporting text indicates to me that you've failed to grasp my main point.  That main point is: If a suitably-designed electronic logic circuit were equipped with instruments with which it could measure its own characteristics and also those of another object - then, whether it were static and the other object moving, or it were moving and the other object static, the measurements that it took would lead it to the (electronically!) logical conclusion that it was static and the other object was in motion in both of those cases.  This is wholly due to the fact that ANY physical object, animate or inanimate - even a single atom - will respond to a state of absolute rest OR of motion in such a way that an observer or measuring device moving with that object will draw conclusions (by human inference or solid-state logic) that the object is at rest (and therefore they are also) - wholly as a consequence of their/its own physical makeup being altered by that state of motion.  Likewise that moving observer/device will assess an objectively static object (such as an atom) as being in a state of motion, for exactly the same reason.

Let's take a simple example: a radioactive source (an ensemble of radioactive atoms) with a known rate of radioactive decay.  If that source is set in motion at a high speed, then a human observer or an instrument would correctly read the rate of decay (emission) of that source as being time-dilated by the appropriate factor for its speed of motion.  However, if instead the observer or instrument is in motion at that same speed, with the radioactive source being static, then physical conditions (the motion of the observer/instrument) would lead to that observer/instrument incorrectly assessing the rate of decay as being slowed by precisely the rate of time dilation that the observer/instrument are themselves subject to - and concluding from this that they are static and that the radioactive source is moving at the speed at which they themselves are in fact moving.  THIS is the reciprocity that we have been discussing, which demonstrates the all-pervasiveness of what I refer to in my book title as 'The Relativity Myth' - and THIS is why the mainstream scientific community is so dismissive of the idea that they may yet have something to learn about SR (and, presumably, why in this unique case they are happy to live with a physical phenomenon without questioning WHY it is so or making any effert to discover why it is so - in stark contrast to their response to EVERY other physical phenomenon).

On the 'greatness' of Stephen Hawking (and possibly other physicists)

This reminds me far too much of the old adage about philosophers arguing about how many angels can dance on the point of a needle!  I'm also - sadly - reminded of a reality tv-dating show episode I happened to see some time ago in which a male contestant was jeered at by the audience for saying yes, his allotted partner was gorgeous - but not 'drop-dead gorgeous'.  I feel this is about the level of the present interchange on this subject.

Surely greatness, like beauty, is (at least to some extent) in the eye of the beholder.  Personally I would attribute far more greatness to a scientist who significantly reduced incidence of a crippling disease than I would to one who discovered some new esoteric particle or obscure physical principle or devised a new theory of multiple universes.  Surely true greatness will only emerge with the test of time, when the true significance of a discovery is fully seen.  I'm sorry, but for me if the question of whether someone is 'great' or just 'very good' as a physicist turns on whether their thoughts on evaporation of black holes are credible or not so, then it's probably time for me to take up knitting - the outcome would certainly be more useful!

Best to all,
Grahame