[General] Fw: STR twin Paradox

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Sun Jun 4 07:22:45 PDT 2017

Hi Albrecht (et al.),

I'm sorry but, like so many others, you appear to be confusing reciprocity with (apparent) invariability.  Until one squarely addresses the issue of reciprocity (which is widely confirmed by experiment, for example in the LHC and by anomalous aberration of starlight), one is in no position to counter the conventional claim that all inertial reference frames are equivalent - that there is no unique objectively static reference frame.

It's of course axiomatic that any physical effect that leads to physical contraction in an object's direction of motion will also cause contraction of a ruler in that direction - so the object length will appear to be unaltered; likewise, it's axiomatic that an effect leading to reduction in passage-of-time effects in a moving object will cause corresponding reduction in rate of a clock (of whatever nature - including the one in an observer's brain) travelling at that same speed - so speeds, including the speed of light (for a slightly different reason), will appear unaltered.  This is apparent invariability - it is NOT reciprocity.

Reciprocity requires that if I am moving at speed v and you are static, not only will you see my clock moving at a slower speed as defined by time dilation - but I will, to precisely the same degree, see your clock as moving with the same time-dilation factor as YOU observe in MY clock; likewise, you will see the length of my spacecraft (or whatever) contracted in accordance with Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction - and from MY perspective YOUR spacecraft (or whatever) will appear to be contracted to precisely the same degree.  THIS is reciprocity, and it cannot be so lightly brushed aside as you brush aside (correctly) the phenomenon of apparent invariability (which is in fact TRUE invariability of ratios of measurements in the same inertial frame).

It is reciprocity, not simply invariability, that leads to assertions of frame symmetry.  Clearly, if (as you and I both are certain is the case) there IS a unique objectively static inertial frame, then reciprocity cannot be simply a comparison of ratios in different frames: in a moving frame time dilation and contraction WILL apply, in the static frame they will NOT.  So how do we square this circle?

The answer is, once again, observer effects.  It is nothing like so easy as your dismissal of apparent invariance - but it CAN be shown that something which is clearly NOT the case in a static object (time dilation, contraction) will APPEAR to be so from a moving reference frame.  This is a significant feature of my published work, and it's absolutely essential to explaining SRT 'frame symmetry' from the perspective of a system that includes a uniquely static inertial reference frame.  SRT as it's generally accepted IS a myth (Hence the title of my latest book: "The Relativity Myth"), but it's a very pervasive and persuasive myth and one that needs firmly and thoroughly debunking if physics is to progress beyond this point at which it's currently stalled.

With regard to your comments on acceleration: I agree completely that acceleration is significantly different from gravitational effects, and that time dilation under acceleration is simply a summation of speed-based dilation; however that summation must of course be handled rather more carefully than simple constant-velocity time dilation, which involves simply a constant factor.  It's for this reason that the twins paradox resolves itself quite satisfactorily without breaching the bounds of standard SRT.

Best regards,
Grahame