[General] Invariability vs reciprocity

Dr Grahame Blackwell grahame at starweave.com
Tue Jun 6 13:57:51 PDT 2017

Hi Albrecht,

The difference between invariability and reciprocity is quite clear-cut - at least on the surface.  When one looks further into it one then also needs to distinguish clearly between objective reality and subjective impressions.

As you say, Einsteinian Relativity ASSUMES reciprocity - by assuming that all inertial frames are symmetric (hence the use of hyperbolic rotations in 4-D spacetime to represent changes in velocity).  In a universe (the one that you and I know to be the case) where inertial frames are NOT symmetric (since all motion is relative to one unique objectively static reference frame) then of course reciprocity is not an objective reality - it could not be.  If I am in that objectively staic frame my clock will not slow down, whatever any moving observer may think (or even perceive) to be the case.

However, it unquestionably IS the case that experimental evidence appears to support such reciprocity.  How can this be so?  Well, detailed analysis shows that the moving observer's own misperception of events will lead to their view - supported by the instrumentation that is moving with them - that a static observer or system IS contracted as if they were in motion and that the static clock IS slowed, just as if that moving observer were static and the static system actually moving.

I believe that it is this reciprocity (supported by experiments such as Fizeau's, which is actually a total red herring!) that leads most physicists to disregard any suggestions that SRT is a misinterpretation of the available evidence - indeed, even to ridicule those who would wish to show them otherwise, without even being prepared to consider the facts.

Invariability is very easily shown to be an observer effect.  Reciprocity is significantly less easily explained - but nevertheless it can be, quite thoroughly.

[On acceleration: I am broadly in agreement with what you say.]

Best regards,
Grahame