[General] STR twin Paradox

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 02:18:53 PDT 2017

Hi Chip,

What happens for a circulating (near) lightspeed object is, not that local time or length changes, but the ring appears to get smaller for the participant - shrinking to zero length ring at lightspeed. Clocks onboard act normally. They will feel, however, feel an acceleration unless in free-fall, which can occur for a curved space -time or round the edge of the universe, for example. You really need to expand your thinking to General relativity (which is, of course, itself not the most general of all the possible proper descriptions of space and time, as it has only a simple scalar curvature) to get a proper grip on this.

Someone mentioned a muon storage ring. the stored Muons decay normally according to themselves, but see a much smaller ring. They also feel a permanent transverse acceleration. The is also (synchrotron)radiation, but this is from the system ring+muons, rather than from the muons themselves.

Most of the rest of the discussion on this has been at a level usually treated at undergraduate level. Grahame is right: you will not find a mathematical contradiction in special relativity. All this stuff has been done before.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, John.

Regards, John W.