[General] HA: Gravity

Albrecht Giese phys at a-giese.de
Sat May 6 11:42:15 PDT 2017

Hi Wolf,

again some comments.

Am 05.05.2017 um 05:56 schrieb Wolfgang Baer:

> Dr. Wolfgang Baer
> Research Director
> Nascent Systems Inc.
> tel/fax 831-659-3120/0432
> E-mailwolf at NascentInc.com
> On 5/3/2017 1:36 PM, Albrecht Giese wrote:
>>
>> Hi Wolf,
>>
>> some comments and answers in the text below:
>>

>> Am 01.05.2017 um 03:47 schrieb Wolfgang Baer:
>>>

>>> Dr. Wolfgang Baer
>>> Research Director
>>> Nascent Systems Inc.
>>> tel/fax 831-659-3120/0432
>>> E-mailwolf at NascentInc.com

>>> Perhaps Grahame was thinking more of a Block universe were
>>> everything is already determined and therefore in one state
>>> determined by the initial conditions, actually any single
>>> description in a time instance. Then we are talking about events in
>>> dynamic states which interact with other events also in dynamic
>>> states and the interactions change both states.
>> The original topic here was the question whether gravity propagates
>> at infinite speed. I have understood Grahame in the way that in his
>> view everything in the universe is already determined (as you write
>> it). And as a counter argument I have given examples of gravitational
>> processes which are not already determined but permanently changing.
>> Particularly the experiment which I described depends on the ideas
>> and intention of the experimenter. And his mind is by general
>> understanding not determined for all times.
> In classic physics the universe is determined from beginning to end
> given the initial conditions. This determinism includes your brain
> which determines the decisions of your mind. Quantum mechanics
> provides a way out by evoking the uncertainty principle which I think
> is not fundamental.
> Instead I am building an event oriented physics in which Isolated
> systems are fully determined until they interact with each other. The
> interactions change the state from one completely determined clock
> like system to another. So like atoms these systems stay in a
> completely determined state and are undetectable until interactions.
> Since independent systems are not determined by the same universal
> clock measurements of their state give random results.
Even without the uncertainty "principle" it would be interesting for us
to determine the further development of our universe. And that is
logically open for us except that we are religious and assume that some
"creator" has decided the final development during creation.

Regarding the "uncertainty principle" I have a very bad feeling as in my
understanding this is not a true uncertainty but a limited knowledge of
the state of particles. Heisenberg clearly has not studied high
frequency electronics; those engineer know this effect from every-day
work for the measurement of pulses. Some call it the Nyquist effect. It
is exactly the same like Heisenberg's but less exciting. Did you look at
the paper of Chandra which he attached some days ago about uncertainty?
I did not work through it completely but it seems to have some good points.

Where do you see isolated systems in our world which occasionally
interact? And why would such interaction counteract determinism? - By
the way I do not believe that we need QM to believe in a world where we
can see some freedom of development. As I wrote earlier, QM has not
helped physics. It has caused a lot of confusion and it has discouraged
the physicist in their intend to understand our world.

>>> Newtonian gravity is still pretty simple but now we have learned
>>> more specifically that inertia is not just an intrinsic property a
>>> la N's 1st Law, but perhaps the result of a vector potential or a
>>> side effect of other forces like your theory.
>> But gravity has nothing to do with inertia. Newton may have believed
>> this but present physics has a different position. And Einstein's
>> gravity depends on energy, not on inertia.
> Does not Mach's principle suggest inertia is a gravitational effect ?
Mach's questions which resulted in the so called "Mach's principle" were
about inertia and rotation. Not about gravity. Now, as he related
inertia and rotation to the background of fixed stars, one could ask the
question how a logical connection between this background and our close
environment could work. And that could make us conclude that gravity is
involved. This is possible but not for sure and I did not find it in any
statement of Ernst Mach.

>>> I agree and Jefimenko goes beyond adding a cross product force to
>>> Newton he also adds a gravitational force to the field since it
>>> contains energy and ends up with 5 forces. However Sciamma's vector
>>> potential explaining inertia is Jefimenko's main point.
>> Again: I do not see any connection of gravity with inertia.
> I now your theory attempts to explain inertia but does not address
> gravity and this biases you against acknowledging a connection but
> there is no such connection is the fact that m*a =m*g , with the same
> "m" not extremely coincident, beyond belief I would say?
Main Stream physics say that there is an inertial mass and a
gravitational mass in the world. The cause of this concept is the fact
that any object has the same gravitational acceleration independent of
its mass. But we should be aware that this position is also an
interpretation. Another interpretation could be that gravity has nothing
to do with mass. In that view, it may not care about mass. Gravity in
this view is a refraction process which is quite easily visible in the
case of deflection of particles at the sun. -  But this is now my position.

For Main Stream this "coincidence"as you call it is a complete mystery.
No one has an idea why this is as it is. Also Mach has to my knowledge
not given any statements about it.

>>> Yes I agree. It is best to remember that all theories and models are
>>> written drawn or imagined on a background space that is both fixed
>>> and meaningless as anything but a structural support. I Found it
>>> impossible to to imagine space time warping so from a heuristic
>>> necessity it is simply easier to imagine particles and forces
>>> between them. However there is clearly a tendency in physics to be
>>> proud of theories that no one understands.
>> For those who believe that they understand theories like GRT or QM it
>> is surely essential to feel that they are superior to most of the
>> mankind regarding understanding. However, I do not believe that this
>> was Einstein's motivation to develop a space-time related theory. He
>> believed that it was the true nature. In my view he did not see that
>> his space-time is nothing than a mathematical trick.
> The shortest distance, the minimum action principle, canonical
> transformations, and Einsteins formulation are alternative coding
> schemes for the same phenomena - since I cannot visualize curved 3d
> space and when I see two dimensional rubber surfaces curved inward to
> a weight in the middle that causes the rubber sheet to bend and
> shortest distances to be curved, I and others ask, what causes the
> central mass to push down? somewhere it is easier to imagine forces in
> a Cartesian flat space Why? because our minds are built with this
> capacity.
There are specific situations where it is possible to describe a
situation by a curved space or space-time. And in specific situations
there is a level of presentation which looks simple and elegant. And
that has surely encouraged Einstein to understand this as a good way to
do physics. But in the general case it makes things unnecessarily
complicated. That is particularly true for GRT. I have as a
demonstration shown (in talks) two ways to deduce the Schwarzschild
solution. The way of Einstein (which I have copied from textbooks) is a
sequence of more than 80 equations, very complicated as they need
Riemannian geometry (i.e. 4-dim curved space geometry); and
alternatively the concept of gravity as a refraction process. The
exactly same result using a sequence of ca. 20 equations and Euclidean
geometry. Can be taught at school. But the leading persons in GRT tell
me that they find the way of Einstein "more elegant". So, just a matter
of taste. No idea how to argue in this case.

>>> The fact that Newtonian action at a distance works and is used by
>>> astronomers and orbital space engineers with great success yet
>>> requires the speed of light to be infinite or at least several
>>> orders of magnitude larger than "c" has never to my knowledge been
>>> explained.
>> Why this? I do not see the logical necessity for this.
> If we calculate the force of gravity on the earth from a retarded
> potential that emanates at the speed of light a small tangential force
> would exist that would make the earth slowly spiral outward, this
> would have been noticed over the several thousand years observations
> have been made. No Newtons model requires gravity to come from where
> objects are seen at infinite speed and it seems to work.
How do you calculate this? Which causes the tangential force? Would it
be also this way if the binding force would not be gravity but an
electrostatic field? For the electric field the theory tells us that
there is no tangential force. Why just for gravity? (Didn't we discuss
this earlier?)
>>> It like the twin paradox and the inconsistency of the perihelion of
>>> Mercury precession is brought up and then ignored and brought up
>>> again by the next generation and then ignored.
>> The twin paradox is in fact very simple. With respect to SRT it is
>> nothing else than a change of the reference system. Look at the
>> time-related Lorentz transformation:
>>    tau = gamma(t-vx/c^2 )
>> When the travelling twin turns to come back, the sign in front of "v"
>> changes and so the proper time tau jumps to a new time. - That is not
>> very physical but it is what the Lorentz formalism tells us.
> It is my understanding that both observers conclude the others clocks
> must slow down. The slow down is due to v squared over c squared in Gamma
It can be understood in the way that this is a symmetrical situation as
long as there is only straight motion. But in the moment when one twin
turns to come back he changes the frame of reference. And in that moment
symmetry is no longer the case. As I have shown above, the new frame of
the returning twin has an offset in time with respect to the earlier
frame. But only this one has the offset, the other one not!

For an easier understanding: If one believes that there is an absolute
frame at rest, then only the twin not travelling can stay in that frame.
If the other one would initially be in the frame at rest, he leaves it
as soon as he turns.

>> The case of the Mercury is not my knowledge thoroughly investigated
>> with the result that gravity propagates with c.
>  One would think so and I've admired Einstein since I learned about
> the 4'th dimension in Mr. Andersons Science class in the 9th grade,
> but now I have had a chance to do more investigation and much of what
> I was taught is not as sold as it was taught. The argument Jefmenko
> put forward is quite simple. the 43 deg precession per century was a
> well known error in the residual calculation of the effects of planet
> and Sun motion on Mercury
> using Newtron's instantaneous gravity forces, If it were calculated (
> but I understand it cannot) using Einsteins equations the answer for
> the residual would be different, therefore the fact that Einstein
> explains the 43seconds is an inconsistency. Perhaps it has been
> thoroughly discussed but this as well as many other contradictions and
> paradoxes have been thoroughly ignored from what I know.
I did not follow this calculation for Mercury myself. But as far as I
know many have done it. And one point has also to be taken into account.
There are a lot of corrections to be done if the orbit of Mercury is
calculated. Einstein's correction was only a small contribution, but it
was the contribution which made the result perfect.

In my view it should not be necessary to use curved space-time. But
there is one influence which was of course not taken into account before
Einstein. When Mercury is passing the perihelion then it is faster than
in the other positions. And there it has to be taken into account that
the mass of Mercury increases. I expect that this could be sufficient to
have the right correction.

>>> I agree but does the gravitational vector potential i.e Mach's
>>> principle not answer this question?
>> What has Mach's principle to do with vector potential? For  my
>> feeling Mach's principle is mostly incorrectly interpreted. The name
>> "Mach's principle" was created by Einstein, but it is not a proper
>> title.
>> Mach's question and argument was how in the absence of an aether
>> acceleration can be defined (or equivalently what a straight motion
>> is). In his view an aether is necessary to define acceleration. And,
>> to give this aether (which was nothing more then a frame of
>> reference) a spatial reference or orientation, he referred it to our
>> environment of fixed stars. That sounds reasonable to me but it does
>> not explain why or how this reference is realized in the universe.
>>
> Einstein and Mach had a falling out when Mach did not like Einsteins
> formulation.
> See
>
> 1.Sciama D. W. (1953) “On the Origin of Inertia”, M.N.R.A.S.,
> Vol.113,1953 p.34
> URL:http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Sciences/Dossiers/Gravite-Inertie-Mass/Inertie/Sciama/D%20W%20Sciama%20-%20On%20the%20origin%20of%20inertia.pdf
>
> I think someone showed this derivation was compatible with Einsteins
> formulation but I have not found the reference yet

Would be interesting, but I cannot find / open this URL.

>> In my view it would be plausible to refer this frame not to the fixed
>> stars around but to the origin of the Big Bang. And in some way the
>> material in our universe still remembers the position of the Big Bang.
>>
>> To those who refer gravitation to the electric force my question is
>> how the gravitational constant can be deduced from the electric
>> field; quantitatively!

---