[General] SR

John Williamson John.Williamson at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 20:23:18 PST 2017

Hello again Chip my friend,

Having met you and having seen the inquiring mind, the intelligence and the integrity of the gentleman I know you to be this is with a great deal of respect.

I know it is seductive to think that it could be that space is so simple, and I know one can get a long way using it in such a way. I fear, however, and the many other distinguished gentlemen who have tried this route are mistaken in that belief and that taking this standpoint only holds back proper progress. Let me try to explain why I think that.

Firstly, while one observes the universe to be, indeed, 3 dimensional it is not merely so. It is also, indeed true that space, as space has three components, and in this sense it is, indeed three dimensional. Also the space of experience is three dimensional. One can walk round it, see it touch it and taste it and even hear it in a 3D way. The problem comes when one enquires deeper into the nature of things one senses in that, apparently, 3D world. One is forced pretty quickly to realize that there are more 3-component objects through which that experience enters your consciousness. If one now tries to consider not just a static space but changes within that space so that one introduces the concept of flow and a velocity of that flow (or a momentum – though these are different in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian theories), one immediately has three more: (flow) velocity in x y and z (or six more if one distinguishes velocity and momentum). Flow is a (3) vector field, like wind flow, or sound-energy flow, or particle exchange in quantum electrodynamics having 3 components at every point in space (or space-time).  Now in the Maxwell equations, one has such changes to that very flow built in. These changes are expressed there as differentials with respect to the three components of space and to the one component of time. These are four-differentails of a 4-vector flow in the more advanced (but still too simple) field approach coming in as either dA in Jackson, or (dA-Ad) if one goes to the (supposedly) more advanced Lagrangian field theory of electromagnetism as it stands. This advanced stuff is of no matter to understand the essentials. Even in the 3D space concept of Maxwell’s time they were coupled linear differential equations in both space and time. Coupled? How? In that each of the (curl) equations necessarily balances differentials with respect to space with differentials with respect to time. Changes can happen, but any change in space must be balanced by and equal and opposite change in time. Maxwell and his colleagues did not know it, but the essentially 4D coupled nature of space and time were then already in there even then, as we now know to be the case.

For two new 3D things that then arise in this picture there are the fields: truly six-components, but splittable in any given inertial frame into 2 sets of 3. One now has 4 sets of 3, space itself, flow in space, the electric field and the magnetic field. If one looks at, touches or hears a dog that dog is a 3D space-dog, but also a 3-flowing dog  and a 3-crackling electric field dog, give the dog a cobalt space suit and it would be a 3D magnetic dog as well (and magnetism is anyway in there in the basic underlying quantum dog-processes. In fact, I would now say that the thing stopping the dog (and everything else) collapsing to a singularity are the three components of the Fermi-spin dog responsible for the exclusion principle of all the fermions that make up the physical dog. You will realize that I’m going for the quantum dog analogy here partly because the quantum cat analogy has been misused in the past! One now still has a dog, but a dog with FIVE superimposed sets of 3-spaces: space, flow through space, electric field, magnetic field and spin. Now four out of five of these 3D dogs (excluding spin) are, and were, already in there implicit in the Maxwell theory of the 1870’s. If you want Maxwell, you pretty much cannot get away without coupling space and time. This is because, thinking through the maths (as I always tell my students), that is exactly what is in there.

It is tempting to assume that one can just “take on board” the whole of the Maxwell theory as a given simply because folk already largely agree that it is a good thing. If one does, however, one has already taken on board that space and time are inextricably linked, because that is what you have used to get the flow and then the fields in the first place.

You see what you need eventually is not just a collection of known facts, inserted as conditions one at a time, but a coherent theory of how everything works and how everything fits together. If you can just start with space, and then derive such a theory just from that I would agree that that was a good starting point, but the Maxwell theory has BOTH flows in the temporal components with respect to space AND flows in the spatial component with respect to time. The theory one constructs has to, AT LEAST, give the Maxwell equations as a set of coupled differential equations. I have not seen that done from a merely 3D space although many, including Martin and myself have managed it thus far from a 4-D space-time.

Now it is a good thing to put in the “shrinkage” of space as an extra principle, and this does get you some way, but you do not need to put it in if you use 4D space-time because it already comes out in the proper relativistic (4D!) transformations of the field. This is shown, though not very well explained, in my two SPIE papers in 2015.

Even if one were to get Maxwell from a construct involving a 3D space one would not be finished. The theory constructed, from space up so to speak, must also go on to fit in with all the other things one observes, some of which are well-described by quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics, but not touched upon by Maxwell at all. The main deficiency is spin. Quantum mechanics gets by by adding another 2D space (SU(2) of spin) into the mix. Relativistic quantum mechanics (Dirac theory) derives spin, but pays for it with a garbled introduction of field and no means of constructing relativistic wave-functions even though the underlying theory is supposedly relativistic. Other physical phenomena, such as hadrons, have so far required even more complex bases such as multiple applications of SU(3) (at least 2 of colour and flavor). Just piling these observation in as a given, inevitably and famously, leads to such monstrosities as 11D string theories. These kind of thing describes a few of the things that do happen (mostly just whatever one piled in there as assumptions), but also predicts an almost infinite number things should happen that don’t. No proper understanding in that direction then.

In brief what I’m trying to say is that one needs to be able to construct a proper theory from the set of things you put in and not just assume a pile of extra things as a given, even if those extra things ar "generally accepted". They are still implicit axioms someone has invented and piled in there. Any proper  theory needs to express dynamics, be described by differential equations then, and not just be based on a calculation containing only fixed parameters, put in by hand to deal with this or that “problem”. Solving this is quite a hard problem. Indeed it was posed in 1903 as Hilbert’s 6th problem. It is still supposed to be outstanding, though I’m proposing my new theory as a candidate solution.

This theory is a set of coupled linear differential equations, including the Maxwell equations as a special case. Unlike Maxwell it does now describe the fifth 3D set alluded to above. Maybe it is a basis for describing all of reality as it is. It certainly isn’t as it was (the 2015 papers) because there is (at least one!) subtlety that escaped me then. Still working on the underlying mathematics to see if I can understand just what version of the underlying 4D reality does lead to all of science as we know it. Just and no more. May, with a lot of luck, be there already, but I think not. Hence the remaining mist and fog!

Warm regards, John.