[General] Compton and de Broglie wavelength the "error"

Andrew Meulenberg mules333 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 08:12:28 PST 2017

Dear Chip and all,

Thank you for the deBroglie paper. It surprised me in several ways.

   1. The biggest surprise was that the word *wavelength* does not appear
   at all.
      - even tho lambda appears in eq 1, it is not defined. So,
      - while it may have been modesty or lost in translation, wavelength
      was not important for his story.
      2. deBroglie emphasized frequency and the, now near-universal, use of
   deBrogle wavelength rather than frequency was a convenience for
   experimentalists.
   3. deBroglie talks of the wave as being 'physical' (unlike that of the
   wave function of QM), yet as far as I could tell, he does not mention what
   is 'waving'.
   4. The word *spin* does not appear in the paper.
      - deBroglie's original work evolved at the same time at the concept
      of spin and therefore, as a thesis, would likely not include
such esoterica.
      - the fact that this present (1970) paper does not include spin (as a
      potential source of the frequency) in a relativity and QM-driven paper
      appears inexcusable.
      - However, that apparent 'failure' is based on my concept that the
      physical 'wave' is a relativistic effect driving the precession of the
      physical spin vector.
      - The nearly 50 years since 1970 has produced many changes. However,
      I have not seen anything written on a possible connection
between intrinsic
      spin and the deBroglie wavelength (or frequency).

The concept of an electron being a bound photon feeds the information base
on spin and its implications. I hope that some others in the group, who
have more ease with mathematics than I, will be able to contribute to this
development.

Andrew M.